leaking everywhere

1995wranglertlc

Hey guys. i need some advise on how to completely water seal the interior of my 95 yj. it is leaking water everywhere. like sometimes under the dash some will drip down and land on my feet. and then the floor boards are getting wet, which cant be good for it in the long run. what would be the best sealant? and where can i buy the the "plugs" that go in the floor to plug the drainage holes?

TIA- anthony

most likely the water is coming in through the heater air intake. there is a grill on the cowl, pull it off and clean out inside there. ther eis two holes, one is the heater air intake and the other is a drain, quite often the drain clogs and the water is deverted to the insides of the heater duct work, then ends up on your feet. also under the hood, there is a long black looking thing that looks like an elephant trunk hanging off the fire wall, this is also part of the drain system. it tends to glog, then end of it looks like it is pinched close, you can open it and remove anything clogging it.

no, I would just leave them out. I have never had them in any jeeps I have owned (except on of my CJ's, but it was a fiberglass body) and I have never had an issue with water coming up through, even during a water crossing assuming you do not stop moving.

if your heater intake is clear and your still getting water under the dash, look at the cowl seal next. Quadratec sells new ones, after years, they begin to deteriorate.

Ok! thanks for the advise. and on a side note. since my jeep is an everyday driver. what would be the best liner for the inside? besides carpet.. hate that stuff

People like to use bed liner, me I personally just use spray paint. I think it is way easier to clean as well as touch up, plus I have never been convinced that roll on bed liner is nearly as tough as the manufacturer says it is. I had it in one of my other vehicles and with in a couple months under the gas pedal I had worn through it. in my opinion, spray paint is 1/100th the cost, easier to touch up/clean, and just as durable.

With that said, I have a friend that had a lineX business, and about 12 years ago, he did his YJ tub, His wheeling is limited, but does DD the jeep often, and it has held up 9 gazillion times better than any of the roll on products, but ease of cleaning it is still an issue.

As for carpet, I would remove it as it would retain any moisture in close proximity to the floor boards. long exposure to moisture promotes rot, if the metal gets wet and is allowed to dry fairly quickly, Rot will not be an issue. To add, this is my thinking as it applies to a jeep where the carpet is loose fitting and contaminants (like dirt and sand) can get under the carpet and erode the paint. In a Pickup for example where under the carpet is sealed off, this is not so much a concern.

Ok, well i undercoated th under belly of the jeep, i cant remember the name of the stuff. pretty much like textured spray paint.. that should work right? i have a liner in it now that i put in about 9 months ago. and where my floor mats are is completely gone man, like it lasted no time. that stuff sucked.. i just want it to stay on.

Back