Largest tires for 4 banger before you have to re-gear??

Nooch13

What are the largest tires you can fit on a 4 banger TJ before you have to re-gear? Are engine swaps posible? I already have a 2 inch lift with 31x10.5's on it and it loses a bit of speed going up hills and I have to down shift to 4th to get it back. I am looking to go as tall as possible with a skyjacker rock ready lift. Any advice would be appreciated! Has anyone ever swapped a v8 into a tj?

I would say 32's or 33's would be as big as you shuld go on stock gearing. If you want a whole different motor. It is cheaper just to sell the jeep you have now and buy one with a 6 or an 8. The engine swaps are posible though.

I'm running 33's and the 4 banger and my Jeep is decent but on hills it has no balls and the milage sucks.

Next week im getting 4.88's so it should be alot better as for the Skyjacker lifts dont waste your money Spend it on a Rubicon Express Long Arm its a much better Lift and Flexes alot better . BTW I'm running a SJ lift I wish i spent the extra money on the RE LA

I'm running 32" tires on stock rims, not too bad with the 2.5L and stock 4.11 gears but I've done a few power mods to the engine. 33" would be doable, I'm sure you know what you're getting into after seeing the difference 31" tires made.

I recommend 4.88 gears and forget an engine swap. Accept the 2.5L for what it is, and a powerhouse on the road it's not. Trade now for a 4.0L if HP is what you crave. I've done a YJ 350 swap, it's expensive and very involved, even more so on newer jeeps. Emissions may also be a concern depending on where you're located.

I enjoy my 2.5L on the trail, and it's tolerable onroad. I'll be going with 5.38 gears for 34" tires so i'll keep this drivetrain. If I did another swap, it'd be the GM 4.3L V6 from late model S10's, Blazers, and 1/2 ton trucks.

I ran 32's on a 4 banger w/ stock 4.11 gears. I had most of the basic performance mods and I was pretty content with it. For what it's worth, I wouldn't buy another 4 cyl Jeep unless I got some kind of sweetheart deal on one, but if I had one now I wouldn't get rid of it just because it was a 4 cyl. work with what you got. Gears mean everything.

Duuuuhhhhh!

You already know the answer to that one. 31's suck all the juice out of a 4 banger with stock gears. My poor ol Jeezabel was in line for a regearing when I sold her. That was the straw that broke the camels back in parting with her. Already had a war pention in that jeep for what it was just could not see spending any more on it. tug

I was in the same boat..i had the 4 banger and i wanted to lift it, and i wanted 33s atleast on it...so i traded it in for a 6. ya might as well trade it in for a rubicon and be one step ahead of the game with lockers. Where are you located in NJ?

ive got 33's and a 2.5, just put headers on and it made the world of difference, i kno a guy that runs 35's and a 4 banger no problem but im not sure if hes regeared

how do i clean my gas tank out right????

You can run 33's, but go with the skinnies. I have 33x10.50 BFGs with a 2.5L motor with 166,000 original miles. It's horrible even on highway overpasses. But it's also a solid motor. Regearing is the best answer, but it will drink more gas. If you want to save $ in the long run, sell it and buy a 4.0.

I also run K&N with a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler and it helps a lot. It's no speed-demon but it gets me there in style.

C

Junkpile said:
TwistedTJ, which Skyjacker lift are you running?

4in short arm ....... springs started to sag after 4 months and at Adams Jeep Show there were Jeeps with the rock ready and RE La on the rti ramp the RE flexed alot better

I finally put on my 33x15.5 TSL SX tires on. I noticed no change from the 31 x 10.5 at all. Go figure, I am always ragging on that little POS motor.LOL I am not planning on regearing these axles either.

TwistedTJ said:
Junkpile said:
TwistedTJ, which Skyjacker lift are you running?

4in short arm ....... springs started to sag after 4 months and at Adams Jeep Show there were Jeeps with the rock ready and RE La on the rti ramp the RE flexed alot better

Did you call Skyjacker and complain? What did they say?

Back