jeep performance

jeepmaster

how much would performance plugs and wires help my 4.0 cherokee? whenever i read about high performance cars they always mention new plugs and wires so i would assume they have some value. and what type of plugs would you suggest. ive heard certain cars dont react well with the platinum plugs, i cant recall what type of car that was tho. any thoughts/help would be great. thanks - max[addsig]

Good Plugs and wires are a good thing. How good a bit. Get yourself a good breather and exaust for the most bang for your buck in proformance. Tug[addsig]

Tug's got a grip on it...new plugs and wires will only ADD performance if the old ones are getting worn out...if yah want more performance...get more air through the motor..but if yer in need of a tune-up...NGK plugs are my first choice...been using those for over 30 years...if yah can't find NGK's get Autolites...stay away from "gimmick" plugs...they can be hard to get in the proper heat range...and they work no better than a fresh set of good quality conventional plugs...as far as "platinum" plugs go...good idea too...Bosch..inexpensive and reliable...platinum plugs are the MAIN reason some car companies claim 100k miles between tune-ups...personally i use conventional plugs...but i like to pull them out on occasion to "read" them...plugs are the "window" to view what is going on inside your motor...it is amazing how much you can tell by taking a look at the plugs... The breather and exhaust idea that Tug suggested will add performance you will notice...and possibly add fuel economy as long as you resist the urge to USE your new-found power. :evil:

Dawg[addsig]

Get some Champion Truck plugs and some performance 8mm plug wires. Forget the hype about extra electrodes and/or platinum. Don't forget a HP coil like the Accel offered in Quadratec catalog.

The performance from these mods will not be 'felt' as much as an airtube/conical filter setup and cat-back exhaust. Don't forget a bored throttle body.[addsig]

ive already got intake and cat back exhaust, ive been lookin at rustys throttle body spacer, which would be better to get, the throttle body spacer or the new plugs and wires? ill look at an HP coil now, ive never heard of one before.[addsig]

if your plugs and wires still have some mileage on them, then go for the throttle spacer. you'll get a stronger low end.[addsig]

Performance plugs are not all they are cracked up to be. If you haven't replaced your plugs in a while then you will definately feel a performance boost or notice a smoother idle when you drop the performance plugs in. The kicker is, the same would be true for ANY new spark plugs; even the cheap Autolite ones at Walmart!

If you really want to see if the performance plugs make a difference also buy a set of cheap plugs (if you are going to spend $5+ per plug, what's another $5 overall?). Put the performance ones in, drive around, then put the cheapies in. I bet you won't be able to tell a difference.

Before you buy the argument that a THICK LONG SPARK (hello, any freudians wanna translate that?) is going to burn more fuel -- ask yourself how that spark will burn any more gas than a regular spark. The fact of the matter is, the amount of fuel that will be burnt is directly proportional to the quality of the mixture and the timing of the spark. Stock timing, or maybe a tiny bit of advance, and good intake/exhuast (which as you have indicated you already have) are going to allow you to burn more fuel, and thus get more power.

Here's an experiment for all the kids at home. Make 2 puddles of gasoline the exact same size in the driveway. Drop a LONG THICK MATCH in one and a SHORT SKINNY MATCH in the other. I bet both will burn the hair off your, uhhh hand, and leave no gas left on the ground.

Cheers,
ONAGER.[addsig]

I went with a throttle body spacer, and it works great. Next I am going to get a ner breather intake, Any suggestions? :-? [addsig]

that is correct... once one molecule of is ignited.... it will continue to use the gasoline/oxygen in the mixture to ignite the rest of the mixture as an virtually instantaneous chain reaction. it is the mixture of the fuel/O2 that is doing the burning, with the spark being used as simply the initial energy source. Even many carbureted engines will continue to run when the spark is not even supplied... this is what happens in diesel engines... hence the term "deieseling".... its much like when you light a gas grill.... it only takes one small spark to light the flame, after that... the existing flame ignites the rest of the fuel. gasoline will not ignite without the oxygen in the chamber.. and the oxygen will not ignite without the gasoline in the chamber. gasoline needs so much oxygen to burn, if there is too much or not enough of either, there will be more waste product. the biggest spark that can possibly be created will not affect that.[addsig]

ok so basically the plugs are worthless, how bout the wires, will they help at all? it seems like the throttle body spacer is the better mod, how difficult is this to install? like a half hour job or am i gonna have to take a bunchof stuff off?[addsig]

If you don't already have them, get a Hayne's manual and a decent multimeter. Follow the instructions in the manual to measure the resistence of your wires -- if they are in spec, then changing them will probably do no good. An even easier check is this: if the vehicle starts ok and doesn't act funny when it rains, then the wires are probably fine.

Another reason to get new wires would be if you are planning on getting the engine bay wet and the current wires don't fit quite right. It'd definately be worth it to get new ones then!

I know that there are a lot of ignition upgrades, and some of them might even work, but for the most part if the ignition system is working it can just be left alone. If you have never changed your distributer cap and rotor then do that instead of replacing the wires. There will be carbon buildup in the cap and the rotor will probably be worn down. In the process of changing the cap and rotor give the both ends of the spark plug wires a dab of electrical grease.

Remember that your jeep is not a sports car but rather a glorified tractor and the straight six is designed for low end grunt, not high end hp! If you save your cash by ignoring the quick little upgrades that all the vendors want to make 100% on, then you can save up and get an RV-cam or heavier flywheel, or something else that'll help with low-end torque. :evil:

Cheers!
Onager

edited by: Onager, Mar 19, 2003 - 12:23 PM[addsig]

haha some nights the XJ is a sports car! i think it may be the quickest SUV/4 wheel drive vehicle (take it easy anti SUV people) ive ever driven. from what ive heard and you all have provided me with, it seems that the throttle body spacer is the best idea. the cap and rotor idea seems like a good thought too. thanks all[addsig]

Back