Jeep Insurance - Loss Value

phillika

I've recently learned that most typical insurance policies will only insure a 1980 CJ-7 for collision or comprehensive based on Blue Book value...and blue book value for a 1980 CJ is around $2K on a good day. Problem is, I understand that my CJ, now that it's refurbished, is easily worth $15-$16K and I've invested a similar amount over time. I was told by the insurance company that I'd need to contact another number during the week to MAYBE get a special "Stated Value" policy from a special insurer.

After having it all fixed up, the only thing worse than a total loss of my CJ (i.e. accident or theft) would be to have a total loss and only be reimbursed $2K by insurance. I hate to think about it but I gotta plan for the worst case.

Has anyone else dealt with this sort of thing and do you have any recommendations?[addsig]

I am an Auctioneer and do apprasials on all sorts of things for folk who need speciality insurance. Some other items that are hard to insure are Jewlery, Art, Antiques, Collectibles, Antique Cars, just about anything that is out of the norm and has no real set value. Georgia is like Tennessee and the state will honor the apprasial of an auctioneer as a certifed apprasial! That will hold up in court, insurance, and that sort of thing! Check in with a local Auto Auction for a real replacement apprasial prior to going into the insurance. Just explaine to him that you need to be able to recover the cost and he may do it for nothing or close to it. If you can not get an auctioneer there to do I will be glad to do one for you! What ever I can do just let me know Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Kewl!!!!
image-missing.png
Thanks tug. Fortunately or unfortunately, I have a few extra days to get the whole insurance piece straightened out. I'll find out what exactly is required on Monday and see what, exactly, I need to do. If I can't find a local auctioneer, I may very well take you up on your offer!!! Thanks again for the info.

Oh, and I would like to eventually hook up on some trails somewhere beween here and TN. I'll definately start planning to go on some trips once I get my Jeep back here and have a chance to play with it for for a few days. We've been seperated for a while so I gotta get reacquinted with her.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Where it gets bad is when you are paying 1.6K a year for just liability for a YJ thats only worth 6K anyway hehe. I hate insurance. It sucks ass until you are 25...oh well 4 more yrs to go...[addsig]

A lot of insurance Co's will insure for what you have invested in it as long as you can provide receipts for all work done to the vehicle[addsig]

Back