jeep 2500?

mujaman

i was watching the speed channel last night and saw something interesting... a jeep sold in china under the name "jeep 2500." it is basically nothing more than a cherokee redesign! the front end looked a little more like the 2003 and earlier grand charokees with the slightly angled/slanted grill slats. the back end looked almost identical to the pre-1996 cherokees (being real squared off) but had taillights like the liberty. has anybody else seen or heard of this vehicle? if so, is it made in the US and exported to china? just thought this was pretty interesting... THE CHEROKEE LIVES ON!

Yeah I was watching that too. All the American car companies have models that we never heard of or seen cause they only sell them in other countries. That kinda sucks cause I bet some of them would sell!

That Jeep 2500 only came with a 2.5 liter though, and only stick, but had an option of 2wd or 4wd... go figure.

a few performance upgrades and the 2.5 is right up there with the 4.0L in the power space...figure if you put a intake tube,oversized 4.0L TB, TB spacer, header free flowing cat cat back exhaust jet chip it will be making more then a 4.0L am i wrong ? i understand thas a lot of money but for you cherokee guys that miss cherokees i woudl do it lol if they sold them over here

i saw that on the net somewhere a while back... i like it

beijingjeep2500tu001-2.jpg

I can dig it.
I think Jeep still made and sold verisons of the Scrambler on up into the 90's for overseas markets. I know that Europe and Australia had the 4 door Nissan's and Toyota's long before they made them available in the US. Ford even sells a Maverick SUV overseas that is a larger version of the Escape.

that is AWESOME.. it reminds me a lot of a discovery. i would seriously consider getting on if they were available over here. ditch that wussy 2.5 tho..

a few performance upgrades and the 2.5 is right up there with the 4.0L in the power space...figure if you put a intake tube,oversized 4.0L TB, TB spacer, header free flowing cat cat back exhaust jet chip it will be making more then a 4.0L am i wrong ? i understand thas a lot of money but for you cherokee guys that miss cherokees i woudl do it lol if they sold them over here

not true at all... all those mods mentioned will get you about 12 hp combined

phatyaspen said:
a few performance upgrades and the 2.5 is right up there with the 4.0L in the power space...figure if you put a intake tube,oversized 4.0L TB, TB spacer, header free flowing cat cat back exhaust jet chip it will be making more then a 4.0L am i wrong ?

oO( I really need to look into this!) :idea:

Hi,

I like the looks. Sort of a strange blend of GC, liberty, and Cherokee styling, but it works :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Yeah, I saw that awhile ago. I think it might have been here? Anyway, seems like the logical evolution of the ol venerable XJ. Not bad...but a 4 banger?? I guess it makes sense with the economy over there.

I think that would sell even better than the KJ, Looks a bit like a land rover rage rover with the styling cues but.... It is a solid front axle!!

It looks like somebody stood four tires up in the driveway and then dumped a big load of horse crap on top of them.
That frontend doesn't fit the rest of the body. The front styling is just too different and I guess "modern" for the old school XJ. I do kind of dig the rear lights though, I guess. I hate for this type of glitzy styling to be associated with the Jeep name.

On a side note about Jeep styling:
If any of you happen to read Four Wheeler magazine, and keep them, go back and check out the article on page 15 of the January 2003 issue. There are some statements from Jeep spokesperson Heather May about the "new standards for Jeep". Here's a quote: "Currently, Jeep produces three vehicles. By rethinking our orientation AWAY from the Rubicon Trail, we can grow the brand and make way for more models." Meaning.....If they make them less capable, they can use cheaper parts and share platforms with Dodge so they can make more vehicles.....like the KJ and the new Durango---I mean Grand Cherokee.

For an SUV style Jeep it looks as good as any of the rest of em! I like it much better than any of the ones drive on the roads in america after the XJ and older. tug

Junkpile said:
I do kind of dig the rear lights though, I guess. I hate for this type of glitzy styling to be associated with the Jeep name.

Yet that seems to be what Jeep is doing with the newer Grand Cherokees and Libertys.

-Nick :!:

Yet that seems to be what Jeep is doing with the newer Grand Cherokees and Libertys.

Yep. We've got a WJ.....that's about all of the new Jeep styling I can stand. I won't buy another new Jeep unless it's a TJ/Unlimited or they start making another fullsize with a real front axle under. The new GC is a real disappointment to me, we were all jazzed up about them coming out and then we saw one and read about the drivetrain. Not for me, no thank you Germany.

Back