Is it possible?

Joopin

Super Moderator
Hey there,
I was outside my apt. over the weekend and saw this girl get out of a TJ and put up her soft top in like 5 seconds flat, I then became extremely jealous. Those TJ tops go up with ease and I would like to have my top go up that fast.

Soooo, is there any way to put a TJ top on a YJ? Has anyone done it before? I was thinking it may be possible since the TJ and YJ are the same dimentions (aren't they?)

Well if it was possible it would be a great upgrade for the YJ.

Joop

The trick is how long does it take a Jeep girl to take down her top on a TJ YJ or other wise! hehehe tug

My Bestop Sunrider for my YJ is very easy to put up and take down compared to the stock soft top. Can't do it in 5 seconds, mabye more like 3 minutes if the zippers on the windows aren't full of mud and dirt.

I'm not saying mine is difficult to put up, I have a bestop also... it's just that the TJ bars and top are all together and you pull it up in one piece, that's a nice feature not to mention quicker.

That's the problem, the hardware is all different. I think you would be in for some major $ on that mod.
You forget girls are experienced in getting tops on and off. I hope you don't have the same problem with a bra strap.

You know, I saw the words girl and top and off and I am in! I will help who ever!!

I am willing to take one for the team and go the extra mile!!

I'm not sure about the top dimensions on a TJ and YJ being the same. Isn't the TJ's windshield tilted back more than the YJ? Wouldn't that make for a shorter distance from the windshield frame to the back bar? Anyway, I used to struggle a lot with my OEM top on my YJ, but after getting a BestTop put on, I can put it up in less than 2 minutes now.

Funny thing on the BestTop, they say to unsnap the back bar from the top to put it down. That basically leaves the top completely disconnected from the Jeep except for the two rear corners being in the tracks. I leave it snapped and only have to pull the front edge up to the windshield and fasten it---the rear bar comes up with the top that way. I tried it their way once, and man, what a pain that was!!!

One problem I see with the TJ top on a YJ. The Door Surrounds. The Top on a TJ connect to a bracket that bolts into the Roll bar. I figure a snip on your roll-bar covers and a couple holes drilled and you will be set, except for the Door surrounds.

wondering, lots of axle questions!

Yeah Sparky, I do the same thing, just roll up the rear window and fold down. No unsnapping!
Well I guess I would have to do some more research on the differences of the YJ and TJ. But to tell you the truth, I would rather put the money in other mods for now.

I read it for real, another thing is, tj's and yj's are not 100% exact dimentions. the windshield on tj's angles back slightly more than a yj, and all of the mounting hardware is built into the windshield. this is wher eyour problems would arise. also you would have to weld the tabs on the roll bar for the rear mount.

i think im with joopin, deal with the top and save that 1000 dollars youd wind up dropping to get a cool easier top to lock your axles or lift the beast or put on some new tires after a weekend on the rocks

currupt4130 said:
i think im with joopin, deal with the top and save that 1000 dollars youd wind up dropping to get a cool easier top to lock your axles or lift the beast or put on some new tires after a weekend on the rocks

:lol: Hey I'm the one who posted the original question!

Back