Ignition wire

97CherokeeGuy

i jus put a iPod player in my 97 cherokee... right no its powered by the cigarette lighter but i have a wire to give it 12v constant power and a ground the problem is i cant find an ignition (ACC) wire to use so that it powers up when the key is in the ignition... any suggestions on locating one?????

Mine is a 96, and there are several switched plugs right in the fuse block. You need a stab-in connector (looks like a tiny spatula) to plug in to them.

My 00, which should be the same, has a plastic plug filling what would probably be a cigarette lighter if I had paid for it. (Its on the same center console panel as the power outlet.) If you yank that plug out you have another 12V jack... And it turns on and off with the accessories. I use it for my cell phone charger. You could splice into that, should be easy to get to.

I use a wire tester, and find a good ground and just turn the key on and strart checking the wires near the area you need it in. Then whe you get a hot one just turn the key and see if it is still hot, you will be able to tell the good ones when they go on and off with the switch. If you are using something that requires more juice then make sure to bump up the fuse to handle the load, but not too much as to keep your electrical things in good working order. Hope that helped, JOE>

Back