If you haul, don't "UHaul"

mud4feet

:evil: So I stopped at a UHaul place today to pick up a tow dolly - wanted to haul my stepson's VW Squareback back here from Asheville (round trip about 50 miles). The lady takes my name, address, etc. and comes to the part about "what you're going to pull it with". She looks out the window, sees my TJ, and immediately starts paging through the "UHaul Manual". Well, it seems that it's UHaul policy that you can't pull a tow dolly with an "SUV with a soft top". I told her, first off, this isn't an "SUV", it's a Jeep! And what in the world does my soft top have to do with pulling a tow dolly?!? Told her I had towed a Saturn from Durham (200 mi. round trip) with no trouble at all. She gets on the phone with UHaul, tells them I've got a CJ (I was flattered by that) with a soft top and they said No Go! What's up with that??? Anyone else had that kinda trouble? Seems I can climb a mountain, ford a stream, pull a "full-sized, hard topped SUV" out of the mud with my TJ, but I can't pull a tow dolly. I don't get it. Got on the UHaul website and gave them my $.02 - seems the way it's worded, they're discriminating against us "soft-toppers".
Thanks for lettin' me vent. :twisted: mud

Insurance companies, Lawyers. Ah they've done wonders for our country haven't they!?!?!

man that sux big jelly beans.

So if you had a hardtop you could have towed it?
That pretty weak man.

Would it have anything to do with the added weight of the hardtop which i dont think is enough to make a difference... that is so lame man.

UHaul has recently banned any Ford Explorers from towing any of their trailers also...something to do with the brakes I think.

jeep license plates

everything's got a removable top in the world of snitty

Yep, won't rent any type of trailer to a jeep. I just borrow somebody's car/truck to pick up trailers from Uhaul and then hook it up to the jeep when I get home. They can't do anything when you return it with the jeep, most don't even care as long as they have the trailer back.

My brother had the same problem. They would not rent it to a half ton truck. In order to rent a dolly you had to have a 3/4 ton vehicle. Even though his half ton truck was built up better than a 3/4 ton. He had to return with a 3/4 ton pickup to rent the dolly. He has learned to tell them it is a 3/4 ton truck. In all honesty most people dont know the difference

future problems with a body lift?

Sounds like U-haul is not letting the lighter GVW rigs tow when they assume that the combination (tow rig, dolly and towed rig) will exceed that particular tow rig's rating from the factory (probably 'cause of insurance) - check your Jeep manual for the gross vehicle weight when towing and then do the math - but that soft top exclusion is totally bonkers !! LBR

that soft top exclusion is totally bonkers !! LBR
You got it! I had previously towed my son's Saturn back from Durham (250 miles under load) with no problem - this with a 4 banger. And if you've ever been up the mountain at Old Fort on I-40, you'd know how well the little four banger did! Basically, I now think Uhaul sucks and we've probably stretched this thread about as far as it will go. Jeeps rule!
mud

Back