How do I ship a frame for a soft top?

Jeep#3

I checked UPS and FEDEX and both of them say that the frame dimensions are too big for them to send!!! So how in the world did mine arrive to my door when I ordered a new soft top??? Anyways--- I need to sell my old soft top frame but I am not sure how to ship it... Has anyone ever shipped a soft top or something around the same dimensions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

edited by: Jeep#3, May 28, 2003 - 03:46 AM[addsig]

What part is giving you the trouble? It may pay to ship in two packages one for the canvas and the other for the frame rails. Look into doing something like that. tug[addsig]

I went to a furniture store and got a lagre flate box, and shipped it through USPS. It was about 3 in. below the limit, but it got the job done. Did you remove the canvas from the frame. I am almost sure that you will have to disassemble that and ship it seperately. You may also have to fold the canvas.[addsig]

I shipped an original CJ frame once. Shipping it gave me headaches as well. I eventually had to wrap it in plastic stretch wrap (i.e. with no box) and ship it in 3 parts via FedEx ground. FedEx ground will take stretch wrapped shipments as long as all corners/points are sufficently covered and/or wrapped such that there there are no parts jutting out.

All the shipping services usually waive or are more flexible on dimension requirements for corporate or contract shippers. For the typical Joe, shipping large packages can be a real pain.

You might want to check with your local FedEx office just to be sure, but if so, you can get stretch wrap at MailBoxes, etc. (now the UPS store), Wal-Mart, or someplace like that.[addsig]

If anyone ever needs help shipping anything larger let me know. I work in the transportation ind. and wouldn't mind giving anyone a hand. We usually ship larger heavier items (i.e axles, motor, trans.) :) [addsig]

where can you purchase boxes larger and in different dimmensions than those available at the Post Office and most Office supplies stores? I'm helping my father-in-law to ship some 3-4 foot trees and we are having a hard time finding boxes to ship them. Let me know if you can help.-Al[addsig]

Rockwrangler-
I just sent you a private post - i'm not sure exactly how those work so i don't know if you got it or not I could use your help on the transportation thing - i just sold my top on ebay. pleaes let me know how to reach you.
Thanks![addsig]

Back