Herculiner or not?

kruzer022

I was thinking of repacing the old warn molded carpet in my YJ w/ herculiner. I have heard mixed opinions on the product. I know it will be some work to do it myself, but i think that that will be better than paying a couple hundred $ to have someone spray one in for me. Is this product as good, or even comparable to a professionally sprayed in liner? or is it worth paying to have someone do it for me?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I just installed hurculiner in my 89 YJ about a month ago. It's held up okay other than the fact that I need to redo the driver side floorboard due to the fact that the slave cylinder for my clutch went out and spilled brake fluid all over it. I have a friend who used it in his 90 YJ and his is starting to come off in some spots. It took alot of prep work to install I spent 10 to 20 hrs on the project.[addsig]

I put herculiner in my fiberglass body CJ7.its been over a year and it has faded(i have not had a top for 1 1/2 years now)but other then that it has held up good.[addsig]

I used rubberized undercoating from Proform inside my 93 YJ. I bought a gun that screws onto the undercoating can and hooks up to my air compressor. It has worked great except over the areas where there is seam sealer (directly behind the front seats on the floor just before the step up into the the rear area). The areas where there is seam sealer has stayed just a little tacky for some reason. Other that that, the rubberized undercoating has stood to plenty of abuse and hasn't faded or chipped off and is paintable. This is just an idea that may be a little cheaper if cost is a concern.[addsig]

I literally just finished putting the second coat of Herculiner in my YJ. I am very pleased with the results. However, when the instructions say to allow 3-4 hours of preparation, add 2 hours for being a Jeep and not a truck bed, and another hour per decade of your Jeep's age. Mine's a 89 and it took my 9 hours to scuff the good paint, sand the rust, clean, wipe with Acetone, and Mask it off. But after 2 thick coats, I see how stong this stuff is. It's like aspholt tar! Buy a 25 pack of latex gloves. and wear longsleeves unless you like herculiner tattoos.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Just thought I'd metion that there are many other DIY bedliner products out there. I just did my YJ with some stuff called RattleGuard from www.rattleguard.com. It turned out great. You have to spray it on with an undercoating gun and compressor and it was messy but it was really worth it in my opinion. I chose to use a color that matched my interior. It was $116 shipped. before and after

image-missing.png

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back