hemi jeep

duff

hows this for a set up.... i just picked up {FOUND IN A BARN} a 100% complete 1959 315 hemi , 265 h.p. 330 ft. lbs tourqe stock , and shes going into my 1984 cj-7. has anyone out there performed a swap simular? i would LOVE to hear about it. the last swap i did was from a 258 , automatic to a 360 standard on my 83 cj-7. i plan on running a 4 speed on this one also. so lets hear some stories![addsig]

Jeep hemi...sounds good to me. go for it.[addsig]

That sounds like a sweet piece of motor you got there. Anything made in 1959 is a classic in my mind that was my birth year. I look forward to hearing about your adventure so keep us posted. tug[addsig]

I´ve been researching, Dodge to Jeep, what will fit and what comes close. Not alot of offerings out there. I´ve got a garage full of Dodge parts. find out if your motor has a small block bolt pattern or a big or none of the above.
But something to look at, the output shaft of the 727 Auto. I havn´t nailed it down yet, but the splin count is the same, for the Jeep offering and the Dodge. The next question is the tail shaft length and diameter. And what tail shaft adaptor, fits which transfer. You´ll find out, big block, to four wheel drive is rare. Many of the sticks for 4 X Dodge applications are fairly non-existant. But who know´s you my be lucky. It´s sometimes amazing what will fit where, if you just have, a clue as to where to look.

If you have time keep me informed of your findings.

I´ve got a bunch of, bits and peices, tranfer shift levers, front and rear Dodge drive shafts, bell housing, clutch and who knows what.

edited by: MudderChuck, Feb 06, 2003 - 05:01 PM[addsig]

it would probably make your life easier to get rid of your jeep TCase and just go with a compatible dodge one...other then that all you'll have to worry about is a set of motor mounts and custom made driveshaft...but if my 350 fit i dont see why a 315 wouldnt fit

Quik[addsig]

Just something to think about, put it on E-Bay, as is, alot of those 50´s Dodges are classics and really rare. Somebody who restores early Dodge might be seriously interested. I had a 50´s with a 292 Hemi and overdrive, never did like it much, because it was a four door. Guy walked up and said, are you interested in selling, I said what price, he came up with a number with four zero´s. Serous collector, I´m sure it found a good home. I bought a four year old 3/4 ton Dodge 4X and had money left over.

edited by: MudderChuck, Feb 07, 2003 - 02:32 AM[addsig]

I heard ebay has free postings today. Put that engine up there and I bet you get some nice $$[addsig]

the 315 hemi shares the same bellhouse bolt pattern as a smallblock dodge. i'm gunna take the transmission and transfer out of a powerwagon. the icing on the cake is a friend of a friend has a old junkyard on the edge of her property with a 57 dodge delevery truck sitting in it . the running gear is long gone but not the mounts. if nothing else they can serve as templets for new ones.[addsig]

Let me know what you need, when you get going, I´ve got a whole lot of bits and pieces in the garage. An extra small block bell housing, flywheel,clutch parts, shift levers, who knows what. But I know, how time consuming, looking for all that stuff can be.
When it comes time to wire that thing, or set up an ignition. I know dodge pretty well.
I´ve also got a NP203 and TF727 crated, never been used. Amazing what you can find at military auctions sometimes.
A lot of the bits and pieces I´ll donate (been collecting dust forever).
I´think you´ll find out, the torque numbers you mentioned, where conservative as they measure them now on days.
Which Power Wagon, with the seperate tranfer or the intigrated transfer?

edited by: MudderChuck, Feb 09, 2003 - 08:11 AM[addsig]

Your Bellhousing pattern is unique to the early hemi's and 318 poly motors not the later LA small blocks and big blocks. Hot heads speciallizes in hemis as does PAWand they offer adapter kits and some weight savers like an aluminum intake and water pump adapter kit ect. though your dodge 315 may be more of a head ache than a chrystler 331, 354 or 392. the later engines that i listed have more after market goodies availible not to mention parts. My Truck hemi bell housing (same as many poly 318 bellhousings that came in 1 1/2 ton dodge trucks) fit a T-18 i only had to drill one hole to bolt it up the NV4500 though is wider so we had to mill out an adapter plat from 3/4 plate and marry the two. It fits fine but i definately recommend the diet with some aluminium parts.
If you do rebuild that hemi remember they like to breathe dont listen to a conventional wedge motor builder find an old school hemi racer, on my first rebuild i made the mistake of following traditional thoughts, that motor likes more cam and larger carbs than a similarly sized motor like a 350.
I built mine with .505 lift cam (should have used a .460 or .470 lift but it still rock crawls pretty well) by the way go with single duration stcik not dual with a small block hemi. I used the aluminum 4bbl intake from hot heads punched the motor .60 over and used 11:1 392 pistons which work out to about 10:1 in an industrial 354 (pin to piston top distance variation). PAW has a great deal for a full rebuild. A hemi can also take more compression on pump gas than a wedge with out detonation. I ended up running a 800 cfm carb in my application the 750 was OK in the hills but it wanted more air on the dunes.
As to fitting no problem youll have to decide what you want to use for a transmission first and check out those to hemi suppliers they can offer you quite a bit of info.
Good Luck and good choice of motors youll be amazed at the torque that little motor puts out and how well it performs oncew it can breathe better with a 4bbl carb.

What kind of questions do you have cooncerning the install what are your fabricating abilities did you get the motor mounts with the engine how about pully brackets and accessories? Are you planning simple or Power steering and AC ect

Dusty
Once you drive a properly tuned hemi youll never go back to wedges.

edited by: ddestruel, Apr 09, 2003 - 11:42 PM[addsig]

ahhhh. information!! it is so hard to get info on these mills!! to tell ya the truth , even though i've been around muscle cars and hotrods my whole life , untill i stumbled across this mill, i'd never even heard of a 315 hemi. i have done a few motor swaps , put a 390 into a 69 torino , 440 into a 76 ramcharger , took a 83 258 automatic cj-7 and turned it into a 360 , 4 speed. custom made the clutch pedal assembly { never do that again!!!} but i think this will be different. the hemi is a totally foreign mill for my jeep and , untill now , i've never run into anyone who has attempted it. some of my concerns are , oil pan clearence , finding motor mounts { i would attempt to make them if need be} , exhaust , linkage, etc. etc. i got real lucky with how complete the motor is, 100% there. what kind of shape was your motor in when you got ahold of it? how much for the rebuild?? did you do it your self or did someone do it for you??? will you post pictures of it???? so many damn questions!! [addsig]

on a previous post i said i could pick up some motormounts from another truck , turns out there gone![addsig]

Ill tell you that the motor and everything came off this winter for a rebuild and heavier axles paint overhall. by May or so ill have her together again and ill post pictures especially after i figure out where i put my missing digital camera.

as to the motor mount any wedge style 318 Poly not a later 318 LA from late 50s-63 or 64 in a heavy truck uses the same block therefore the motor mounts should fit, to mount it to your frame get ready to fabricate. i have even read that some guys use the hemi heads and put them onto the poly 318's so as to take advantage of the more availible bearings lighter timing covers ect BUT I DONT KNOW THAT FOR A FACT. You should though first start looking at PAW or Hot heads and ask them what they have for the Dodge 315 i dont know how similar it is to the chrystler which is what i am using.

The old chrystler Hemis were king of the track all the way back into the 50's, chrystler had not totally realized the potential of the hemi not grasped the sport...hot rod ...coupe potential of the hemi and i think until the creation of the big elephant motor allowed the market to slip by. My 354 with dual 325 cfm 4bbl carbs on a poorly cast cast iron intake couldn make 340 Hp and 450 ft/lbs in 57 factory and that was with a mild cam.

As to oil pan clearance i had a friend (who does all my welding I dream and draw)weld the bottom section of a 318 LA motor truck rear deep sump pan onto the 354 top section to give me about 8 qrts capacity and 0 clearance problems, it fits like any other motor with a rear sump pan would but you have to weld it while it is attached to the block so during a rebuild is the best time.

Your going to also have to fabricate a clutch system especially since i think yours should be hydrolic like mine i built a plate to postition the slave cylinder to push on the clutch fork.

The master custom rebuild kit was about $1400.00 plus head work put me close to $1800 Headers and and intake put it into the 2400 ball park add a carb and timing cover and i cleared 3K But almost any motor i have rebuilt aside from the (every one has one)belly button chevy 350 has cost close to that for a properly completed rabuild. and with this you get the WOW factor when you open your hood for others.

Exaust is easy with the headers they center dump in the middle of the block down to the oil pan any exasut shop will easily be able to work with that.

My motor was about 75% complete but it came with the bell, fork, clutch and flywheel already. It had no front assembly though. [addsig]

are you planning on beefing up the frame or do ya think the stocker can take it?[addsig]

Back