Hemi Jeep or Restore My 87 Wrangler?

stx1100

Hey Jeep Guys, I need an opinion from fellow jeepers, since we are a unique breed. I am debating on either getting a new 06 TJ Rubicon from AEV-conversions.com. The jeep would come with a Hemi and mercedes 5 speed automatic. Other up grades will be power windows, heated seats, 4 inch lift on 33" Mickey Toms, arb bumper and winch. This will cost me about 60k. My other option is sink 30K into my 87 YJ which is in good shape. I have already started restoring the YJ with 2.5 lift, discs brakes all around 31 inch mickey toms and I want to go further and maybe do a tear down, but having a brand new jeep with a 355 horse hemi might be nice, especially with the softer suspension on the TJ. Please give me your opinions. Thanks

installing engine-any good manuals?

All I have to say is for $60K I could build two hellacious Jeeps. I say build the '87.

RE: Cool toy for your kids, or yourself!!

do you really want to bash something you paid 60k for and not fully know whats been done or like twisted said, build one for half that, build another w/the other half and have a spare that you know every nut and bolt on??? if you have the choice and the time/skill ... i'd opt for the latter (besides, for that money you can build a nice cushy "buggy style" coil suspension for your YJ...)

RE: serios ignition problem need help fast!!!

It's all a matter of time...do you mind the YJ being out of comission for a year? If not, I would say build it up to the way you want it (there are ways to get 355 horses of a YJ). With the money you save you could buy a low mileage WRX for the street. If you are impatient like me, but can afford a new Jeep unlike me, then I would say go for the new one.

RE: Re: RE: found at 3am: Couch on fire in middle of street

If you want to put $30K or more into a Jeep, you need to PM me. I'll put one on you that will spank an AEV Jeep. See the thread I'm about to start called Transformation.

If I had 30K to sink in my jeep, it would be friggin awesome. And I bet I would have money left over too.

Do the 87.

CJ Transformation

It all depends on what you want to use it for. If you want a show jeep or use the jeep primarily on-road I think you should go the 06 Rubicon way. If you are going to use the jeep strickly offroad and beat through trails the extra money on the YJ would probably be better. Although if you bent on spending $60k on a jeep get a newer TJ and pimp that ride.

stick with the 87.... if you have that much money to play with you could buy a crate 426 and find a way to wedge it in your yj....that would be one seriously scary jeep!

Is it a bad idea to run 35"s with no power steering?

id say go with the 87 for sure. ive done many restorations and that rubicon will cost u a fortune. u can make that 87 look and perform like no other for under 20k. all i can say is make it unstoppable!! good luck on your restoration!

Is this for real, or are you just yankin our chains?

Just throw away the AEV catalog and call Dynatrac. Get yourself a couple of 35-40 spline custom D60s to sling under that 87. Order a high horsepower FI Chevrolet V8 crate engine with a matching overdrive transmission and hook them up to one of those new 3 speed transfer cases. Set that whole pile of crap down on some bling bling rims wrapped in some 38"+ meats.....well, that would probably just about be knocking on the 30k limit, but a new interior, AC, and some new paint wouldn't be too much more.

RE: overfilling automatic transmission

Hey Thanks Guys, I think I am going to go with the 06 AEV Jeep, but also keep my YJ for wheeling. Realistically, I can't see taking the Rubicon off pavement (clean pavement for that matter) at least for a couple of years. So after I recover from the financial shock of buying the 06, I will slowly build the YJ, which mean repair things as they brake. Worst comes to worst, I still have the ATV's to play with off road. Thanks again for the opinions.

RE: Timken VS. Koyo

stx1100 said:
.......... Realistically, I can't see taking the Rubicon off pavement (clean pavement for that matter) at least for a couple of years................

:shock: ??????? :shock: ??????? 60K!?!??!?! :shock: :shock:

Guess you won't really need the lockers, then! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Paragon Monthly Ride (Oct 1,2)

I don't mean to bash, and I respect that you would like to take care of your investment, but those lockers are there for a reason...plus you're dishing out an extra $10,000 for the Jeep to have these offroad features. All I can say is enjoy it; get your money's worth out of it. For me that would involve using the lockers and 4:1, but that's just me.

Heading South

I saved for 2 years to buy my jeep and it is my only wheels. I would not miss a chance to take it off road for nothing. It if you have that kind of money in a jeep to me it should never see pavment unless on the way to the trail. sound like you should buy a some fancy BMW or somthing for the clean pavement

Back