help

AVILES

i have a four cylinder 97 jeep wrangler with a 4 inch lift and 35 " tires. the only engine modification i have is a K&N intake. it runs good and every thing but its kind of slow at acceleration and slow on highway. i was wondering what i could do to get some more speed and power with out using much money. any comments or ideas will help.

Get rid of the 4banger? Haha, J/K I rocked the 4 for a long time. Gears will help, 4.88 or lower, but it'll never be fast.

Use the throttle body off a 4.0L of about the same year. The larger bore allows more air. Did you regear lower to account for the bigger tires? If not, you can take whatever your stock ratio is and use a calculator to find out what to swap it to.
I went from 3.08 with stock tires to 3.73 and 33" tires for a matching final ratio and the power is the same as stock.

is it an auto or manual. regearing would be the best solution, and 4.88 is the deepest you can go assuming you have the D35 still. you rstock ratio is most likely 3.54 auto and 4.10 manual. you can throw all the power adders you want at that 4cyl, fact is, your engine will not be in the proper RPM range for best power efficiency.

Best bet is to regear to 4.88, anything else will barely make a difference.

Then there's the electric fan, ford v8 injectors, firepower ignition kit from Performance distributors. Don't bother with a 4.0L throttle body when you can get one of my 62mm throttle bodies and spacers for cheap.

Back