help: winch or lift

currupt4130

VT Hokie
im trying to decide between buying a rustys 4" lift for my yj or buying a ramsey pro 9000 winch off of ebay, right now i have 3inch blocks and 33's on it, it came like that when i bought it but what do you think, lift or winch

I say winch. a lift will help you get stuck in more remote places. A winch is invalueable when you are stuck. Also instaling a winch is much more straight forward than a lift. less driveability probs to cope with. You will beable to compensate for the aded waight that a winch adds to the front of the jeep with lift components to level it out when you get to that point. At least that is the way I am planing on doing it.

I say get the 4" suspension lift. You can get away with a hi-lift jack and some straps and/or a buddy to get you out of a bind if needed.

Rubicon / H2

Go with the lift...a solid lift package under your ride is worth more than a winch.
As Twisted say's a hi-lift will work till you finish with most of your mods. Suspention and under body plating should always come first.
Toys come last. But think of it this way....how many times will you use the winch to how many times will you use the lift?

I see the point that is being made with the hi-lift being used as a winch. Veary good point. And the lift is an awesome thing. But when I got my first winch I could not believe how I got along without it. Every time it snowed I had a good reason to go out and play. I made a lot of money pulling cars and trucks out of ditches with that thing. Yes I could have done it with a comealong or a Hi-lift and froze while doing it. I also went off road hunting and fishing alot. Had no one there but myself and never once had to wory about how deep that mud hole was or if I could make it back up that hill that I had just come down. I guess it is more of a prefrence choice when it all comes down to it. Either way I am sure you will have a lot of fun with either of thoes good choices.

ive got a hi lift right now and plenty of bigger buddys i wheel with so it looks like the lift is where im headed, plus ive got a buddy that works at tire/offroad shop so i can get everything cheaper, rusty's 4" lift a good package? is there anything extra id need to buy besides the lift kit

Why lift it at all. (so you can go over bigger obstacles ) What will you do when you come to a even bigger Obstacle ? Go bigger ? When will it stop ?
Might as well keep it stock and keep your money in your pocket... Plus think how funny it will be when you are the only one un-lifted, and still doing all the same trails...
I never made fun of a stock height vehicle for doing a trail and getting stuck. But when you make it , It proves who is a better Driver.

White said:
Why lift it at all. (so you can go over bigger obstacles ) What will you do when you come to a even bigger Obstacle ? Go bigger ? When will it stop ?
Might as well keep it stock and keep your money in your pocket... Plus think how funny it will be when you are the only one un-lifted, and still doing all the same trails...
I never made fun of a stock height vehicle for doing a trail and getting stuck. But when you make it , It proves who is a better Driver.

That is very true, when you think about it. But, it is funner when you can go even further before you get stuck. I also have to say you should go with the lift, because I feel you can get alot more out of it.

well when i can get deals on things i think im going to go for it and then ill install it myself, i'm looking for articulation more than anything, i think imma stay with 33's under it for now and get some sway bar discos and some shackles on top of the lift to get a 4 or 5 inch susp lift and the three inch body thats on there now, 35's are in the future tho

The lift will only serve to get you more stuck, while the winch will get you home ;)

I'd tend to agree with Bounty. I've had many great outtings in stock form 4x4s. I've found the more modified the rig the worse I've been stuck. A winch is an invaluable asset to the serious off roader. A Hilift or a ratchet hand winch will get you buy in a pinch but it sure is sweet to have an electric winch when you or others are in need of it.

A good suspension lift is more than just ride height. Good quality springs will give you more wheel travel and allow the Jeep to articulate and go more places on those 33's (keeping it on all 4's).

As far as as the shackles - you really don't need them to clear 33's and the extra lift height may cause some driveline vibration. If you want to go over 4" in suspension lift you'll need a SYE and new rear driveshaft. I would say the disconnects are a no-brainer though :wink:

If you can afford to throw in a locker for the rear then do it!

Back