Help TwistedCopper pick a tire - PLEASE!

TwistedCU

Ok, so I have narrowed it down, but I can't make up my mind.
t
I want an aggressive DD tire that will perform offroad. I do alot of highway driving, a whole lot!
Here are the choices, the size will be 265x75r16 (32x10.50x16):
BFG AT:This tire is the all-terrain standby, but left me stuck more than once
image-missing.png

BFG MT:Proven on and offroad performance, but at a steep price
image-missing.png

Dunlop Radial Rover R/T:This tire bridges the gap between an AT and an MT, I'm leaning towards it
image-missing.png

Firestone Destination MT: Great looking tire with the best rating from tire rack consumer reviews
fs_destination_mt_owl_ci2_l-2.jpg

larger Alternator?

To be honest, I've never had any luck with any Firestone tires. Aside from my first set on my Toyota 4wd PU, I've always run with Kumho Mudders. They are made by BFG, only sell at about half the cost. I've always had great luck with them, run them upwards of 80,000 miles per set.

front springs

I personally have the BFG MT. I don't know anything about the other tires, however. The BFG MT work pretty good on the road AND off road. They wear very good as well. They are also not very noisy (if that is important to you at all). But, like you said, they are a little steep in the price.

88Wrangles said:
I personally have the BFG MT. I don't know anything about the other tires, however. The BFG MT work pretty good on the road AND off road. They wear very good as well. They are also not very noisy (if that is important to you at all). But, like you said, they are a little steep in the price.

I agree, I was quite surprised with how quiet they were (relatively speaking), the same goes for the Kumho tires, which makes sense, considering they are the exact same tire.

I also was very impressed with the flotation in mud of the BFG/Kumho tread. At 20 to 25mph, the tires would clean themselves, and at 30mph and up, they would get up on top of the mud, rather than bogging down in it. Goose the throttle a bit, and they'd really dig down for a good bite, but then jump right back up on top of it. Great tires for mudding, which is what most of my 4-wheeling consists of, seeing as how most of Kansas is so flat. There are some decent hills in the eastern part of the state, and lots of rocks to play on, though.

Sparky-Watts said:
I agree, I was quite surprised with how quiet they were (relatively speaking), the same goes for the Kumho tires, which makes sense, considering they are the exact same tire.

They're not the same. Similar, but not the same. The BFG has a rim protector, an extra sidewall layer and a slightly different tread pattern (especially the sides), deeper tread depth (19/32 vs 14/32 on a 31x10.50x15 fer example), smaller actual diameter, etc etc etc.

I'm not saying the Kuhmo isn't a good tire, but the BFG is not the same.

Among other reasons, I picked the above 4 tires mostly because these 4 are closet to or are actual size.

CJ power brakes

TwistedCopper said:
Sparky-Watts said:

They're not the same. Similar, but not the same. The BFG has a rim protector, an extra sidewall layer and a slightly different tread pattern (especially the sides), deeper tread depth (19/32 vs 14/32 on a 31x10.50x15 fer example), smaller actual diameter, etc etc etc.

I'm not saying the Kuhmo isn't a good tire, but the BFG is not the same.

Among other reasons, I picked the above 4 tires mostly because these 4 are closet to or are actual size.

My mistake! Either I'm thinking of a different tire, or they've changed them since I bought my last set (back around '90 or '92), because at that time they were rolled out of the same plant, same assembly line, just had different lettering on the sides. I didn't realize they had changed them since then. But, then again, that was a long time ago, and it may have been a different brand name than Kumho....I'll have to do some checking when I get time......thanks for the update!! :wink:

maybe they were, BFG re-vamped the AT & MT tires a little while back. That might explain the difference????

I have never heard or BFG making the Kumho. I know the Mud King is a bfg no name brand. That is what I am running. They have a differant tread pattern but I love them. So far I have not heard any road noise from them. If ther is any I the wind noise is loader.

Firestone as a company, I am not happy with. So I am biased. There warranties have so many loopholes.

BUT, that aside, I think you should go with the proven BFG MT's. They look more agressive too.

i've done a bit of research recently and talked to some professionals, kumho is indeed its own company. i've heard on this forum before that they were made by goodyear, and now sparky said that he thought they were bfg's, i know he's not so sure anymore. but from everything i have been able to dig up, kumho does indeed make their own tires and are separate from all other giant tire companies.

bchcky said:
i've done a bit of research recently and talked to some professionals, kumho is indeed its own company. i've heard on this forum before that they were made by goodyear, and now sparky said that he thought they were bfg's, i know he's not so sure anymore. but from everything i have been able to dig up, kumho does indeed make their own tires and are separate from all other giant tire companies.

Yeah, they are Korean I believe.

I can't find a site online that advertises prices on them though. Link anyone?

best color for a yj

TwistedCopper said:
maybe they were, BFG re-vamped the AT & MT tires a little while back. That might explain the difference????

Nope....you were right, it wasn't Kumho...it was on off-brand named Trisun....I don't know if they're even in business anymore. I just happened to run across some of the old paperwork from my Toyota, and found one of the receipts for them. Somehow, I didn't think Kumho sounded right, but my head is all muddled with pain meds I'm taking for a bad back.....my apologies!!!

It's a toss up. I don't think any of them are going to be great at highway or mud but average at both. I only have expereince with the BFG's and they are ok. I run a set of AT's on my 'burb right now and they are fine. The traction on road is good, not very noisy and good in wet conditions. I can't say much for off-road. I hunt from this vehicle but never get it in the nasty stuff (save that for the Jeep). I bought them because they were on sale and are rated load range "D" which is good for hauling heavy loads. BFG also doesn't highly advertise this, but the KO series comes with a roadside and trailside warranty. Meaning if you have failure on the trail they will send someone to get you.
The MT's were disappointing to me. They seem to do ok in the woods, but I have seen some of them rip on the sidewall under abuse. They have that tri-gard sidewall, but it's only half of what a TSL has.
Despite that, I still vote for the BFG MT considering how it will be used.

Ok, so after all of that I'm real sorry for doing this but I just found out that those 4 tires are all imports, which means I aint buyin'! Only Goodyear and Cooper make domestic tires for this style and application. Since I can't afford Goodyear MTR's, it looks like either the Cooper S/T-C or the Cooper STT are going to be more likely choices.

I know, I know - you all think I'm nuts. It's OK, 'cause I am, but at least I'm an American nut :lol:

S/T-C:
image-missing.png

STT:
image-missing.png

TwistedCopper said:
Ok, so after all of that I'm real sorry for doing this but I just found out that those 4 tires are all imports, which means I aint buyin'! Only Goodyear and Cooper make domestic tires for this style and application. Since I can't afford Goodyear MTR's, it looks like either the Cooper S/T-C or the Cooper STT are going to be more likely choices.

I know, I know - you all think I'm nuts. It's OK, 'cause I am, but at least I'm an American nut :lol:

S/T-C:
image-missing.png

STT:
image-missing.png

Those don't look bad....I like to buy American, when the Americans can make a better product (which surprisingly is happening a bit more often now...too bad it took us so long to wise up to what the other countries were able to do). How much for the STT? Looks like a pretty healthy mud tread on those! :wink:

I buy american, sometimes it cost more and the quality sucks But I still buy it.
I also try to say away from mail order. Everyone should support there local 4x4 shop.

I like the st's , They might stand a chance in the rain.
I ran 265/75/16 for 2 years Uniroyal AWT's.
When did jeeps start comming with 16's ? Bigger brakes ?

Hey TC... If you can find them, check out the Mastercraft Courser MT's.... Mastercrafts are made by Cooper, and im really happy with my Courser MT's.... i paid 104 a tire mounted a balenced at my local tire shop.

Nathan

Back