^%#@$ HEATER!!!!!

LtFuzz

so today i decided to go thru and replace my heater core....no biggie, had my dad help me and everything worked out fine....then i go to start the car and its runnin....but there is no heat at all...only a very little when i'm driving...other than that theres nothin, no blowing....has anyone expierenced this before? and if you have, what mistake did you make? please help!!

Capt Cox
USAF Aux.

the fireman beat me to it! the wire could easily have been knocked loose at the connection under the battery tray, during a heater core replacement (assuming that the connections are the same on the cj, yj, and tj). the newer jeeps may have better connections than my old cj.

sorry...i have an 87 YJ....where would these connections be located that are under the battery tray?

If you have nothing blowing than it's probably an electrical problem but if you have no heat you may have an air lock in your cooling system. When you installed your new heater core, it was full of air and it's probably still in the system somewhere. When I've had this problem in the past, I've parked on the steepest hill I could find (ramps work great) with the front of the vehicle facing up hill and let it sit with the engine running and the radiator cap off. Make sure your heater is turned on full on it's hottest setting so you get full flow through your heater core. Eventually the air lock will work itself out and through the radiator. You might see the rad overflow a little, then suck air back in. When it sucks back in add water to it. This once took me 1/2 hour to work out the full air lock. Hope this helps.

I am just about done with my heater rebuild as well. I have taken it to an extream and I am replaceing or rebuilding everthing in there. Core Blazer blower motor upgrade. New seals on all the gates inside, new cables, pulls, and anything else that looks worn. I even repainted the metal parts after a good wire burshing and sand paper. But it will be worth it. The air lock may be keeping the water from flowing through the core but that would not keep the fan from working. Trace the wireing and look for the problem. tug

Hello LT,

In addition to the junction of wires under the battery tray, fuse, etc., you might check to see that the wire connector(s) were put back on the resistor block on the inside of the jeep.

The wires run from the heater motor switch to this resistor block (3 or 4 connector plug), then one wire from the resistor block through the firewall to the connector under the battery tray, then to blower motor.

The resistor block is mounted on top of the heater box, under the dash, and a bit to the right of center. You or your Dad would almost certainly have had to remove the resistor block connector(s) in order to move the aft half of the heater box housing out of the way.

Gadget

PS: Shouldn't it be CaptFuzz now? :wink:

Back