Health Insurance

mud4feet

Re: off roading in NJ on october 24th?????

Totally off the Jeep topic, other than me being a Jeeper seeking the sage advice of my brethren..........

OK, here's the deal. Mrs. Mud has another job offer which would do amazing wonders for her peace of mind (and mine, too, vicariously). Problem is, the place doesn't yet offer health insurance but they're willing to pay half of her premium, should she find some elsewhere. I work for the DOT and my health insurance is paid for. To add my spouse it would cost the high side of $400/month. I'm thinkin' she could find an individual policy cheaper. Anybody out there been through this? Tug, are you self-insured..got an independent policy? Anybody??? I figured this was as good a place to start as any.

thanx much, mud

its terrible.... as long as you don't get hurt... its cheaper to NOT have insurance than it is to pay 5,000 per year to cover a couple $60 doctor visits and a few prescriptions

I pay 25% of mine, it costs me around $8 a week I think. She should at least check into the price with the 50% copay. The company should have a discounted group rate, and she would only be paying half of her costs. An independant policy will be completely on her and the rate will probably higher. As long as her employer has a decent policy.....

HELP! Danged Exhaust flange!!!

I had a similar situation years ago. After repeated hammering at our boss for some health bennies, he offered to pay half. The 4 other employees and I sat down with a couple of insurance agents and we got a group plan (like Junkpile mentioned). The cheapest ones were HMO group plans which our employer payed half. Agreeing on the same plan was the most difficult part, and we ended up with a vote. We ended up with an HMO, which I was against, but it was decent coverage and the out of pocket expenses were minimal. One thing you might want to stay away from is plans with a maximum lifetime benefit. Some have a cap around $1 million dollars, which would be depleted very quickly if God forbid something happened that required alot of treatment.

I believe it only took 3 participants to have a "group". That was quite a few years ago, but I'm sure that if the offer is the same for all the employees at her work they could all work something out similar to what we had. 50% of a group rate should be substantially cheaper than $400 a month.

If the offer she has is not one they normally give to the others, she may be able to get into another group but it may take some looking around.

I am uninsurable as is my wife. Due to health problems for us both. My wife is service conected due to desert storm so she covered 100% by the VA and I am a Co-Pay with the VA due to my prior service. We do have our youngest son covered so I am afraid I will be of little help to you on this one sorry. Your not alone and at least you have some coverage! tug

Back