GUESS WHO'S BACK (My New 94XJ 5 Speed)

dingus

XJ front towpoint / hitch

For those who remember me, let me be the first to say that i missed jeepz.com and am certainly STILL bitten by the jeep bug! haha...

Just got this new "bad boy" today:

1994 Cherokee Sport 5 Speed ($1500)

High miles (215k) but... hey 4.0's are bomb proof, don't kid yourself! It needs a few minor things, oil pressure sensor, headlight, good ole' oil in the airbox blowby (just gonna vent it)...

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

My questions for all you guys:

1. Does the front end look low? The suspension is kinda soft up there and i think shocks/springs are in order.
2. What transmission do i have? anything to look after? should i change the fluid?
3. How hard is it to adjust the clutch? It releases pretty high...

Take it easy,
-Nate

4. Is it safe to use the front push bar as a recovery point?
5. if anyone needs a VIN # checked on carfax, let me know... i paid 25 bucks for unlimited reports. just email me if you need one... nate@natecovington.com

Very nice Nate!! I'm glad you've stuck around and you have a new rig. Looks clean, especially for 1500!!!!!

RE: Rear toe Hooks for 05 TJ

Good grab, Nate!! and for $1500? looks like a good deal

Good deal nate! What is this your 3rd Xj? What happened to the little black 4banger? Welcome back.

1. Actually Nate, I think the suspension is hanging low both front and back. Just tired, after all these years.

2. If it doesn't seem messed up, I'd leave the clutch be. Just adjust your driving style. You maybe just used to a different friction point from a different auto. Give it some time, and if your don't feel like it is getting more comfortable, then see about messing with it.

4. It's hard to see from the pic. If it's connected to the unibody, then maybe, but I'm gonna say no on that too.

RE: GUESS WHO

Good buy! That sweetheart is straight and pretty darn clean looking.

4. Is it safe to use the front push bar as a recovery point?

NO.

Get the tow hook kit. That push bar, like mine is 80% for looks.
It is bolted to the front bumper and the steel in the bumper is not much heavier than tin foil.

If you can find a used tow hitch, you could install that for a real pull point.
The only bad thing on them is you lose some angle clearance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4547340422

that's where i found her, in case you're wondering...

thanks for all the pointers guys, now i know why i keep coming back here!

sully - that 4 banger jeep ('85 auto POS) turned into more of a nightmare than i wanted to deal with. originally, they weren't sure what it needed to run again, then they told me that it needed 3/4 sets of piston rings... i dont know, i didn't want to deal with that thing. this is my 2nd jeep.

DUDE do i see a clarion 400.2 amp there in the back. i had that same amp in my XJ drivin a single arc audio arc12d4. droped the sub to 1ohm bridged off the amp in a slot port box and pulled off a 143dB in the lanes. if you werent wareing a hat your hare would get all messy. you have a really good amp there. oh and as far as i know thay are built by ARC audio. had mine sent to ARC to get fixed and thay covered the warenty so there ya go. again thats a sweeeeeeeeeeet amp there http://www.arcaudio.com/

dingus said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4547340422

that's where i found her, in case you're wondering...

thanks for all the pointers guys, now i know why i keep coming back here!

sully - that 4 banger jeep ('85 auto POS) turned into more of a nightmare than i wanted to deal with. originally, they weren't sure what it needed to run again, then they told me that it needed 3/4 sets of piston rings... i dont know, i didn't want to deal with that thing. this is my 2nd jeep.

Dood no way what about your white one with the rusty's lift?

Check the mounting points, if it mounts to the unibody UNDER the bumper mounts, you should be OK... I only say this, because it looks very similar to my Warn Trans4mer grille guard, without the little brush guards for the headlights... If that's the case, then you're golden, I just drilled and mounted my tow hooks to the front, it's been put through the wringer since day 1, and has not yet torn off :)

As for the suspension, it looks no lower than my XJ... Oh wait... :( :( :cry: :cry:

I knew you'd be back, even I can't manage to stay away, even with these crazy shifts I've been workin :D

Welcome back, XJ Forum Moderator Dingus, and fellow Jeepz.com-er :)

RE: 4wd lever issues

sully - i had a '90 XJ (dk blue) with the 3" rusty's lift, i sold that kuz she was leakin' oil (quart/week) out the rear main seal... i sold her on ebay for like $1500 because she needed about $1000 worth of work to pass inspection (oil leak, tires, alignment, broken transmission mount, etc.......)

-Nate

XJ/ZJ Gallery, show us your Grocery Getters!

Welcome back Nate, looks like you found a good deal.

The springs do look sagged, but you really don't need an excuse for a new suspension... do ya? :twisted:

No go on the grille guard as a recovery point, bad things man. If it's hooked to the bumper it will toast it. If it's connected to the unibody it may wrench the frame without some type of support braces. I know a guy with a front receiver hitch for sale in the for sale forum
http://www.jeepz.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=327200 ;)

On the transmission, an AX15 no doubt. Change the fluid, stongly emphasized YES, but don't use GL5. Use Pennziol Synchromesh from your auto parts store, Redline MT90 (probably have to order online but it's the best), or last resort GL3 from a Jeep dealer. GL5 is poison to the brass synchronizers. Change it to be sure, the YJ's manuals even called for GL5 which was a huge mistake. I assume the XJ manual does as well... don't do it.

Your clutch is hydraulic and you can forget about adjusting it. It may just be an aftermarket clutch and feel differently. If it holds solidly I'd just live with it. That or it is just old and if that's the case then you'll know soon enough.

Beefer roll bar covers for 02 TJ

TwistedCopper-

What auto parts store do you know of that stocks this 'synchromesh' you speak of? My local pep boys (remind me to NEVER go there again!) does not carry it...

as for now, i'm gonna be keeping her suspension stock, until i hit the lottery and can afford to do it right. too many nighmares with the old XJ's lift (rear leaf springs, vibrations, then not enough $ to buy tires anyways) i'm thinking some nice 29's should do nicely once i get the stock ride height back.

Back