Guess the noise

Buck hour

I already started a thread on this subject. But I picked a terrible subject title. Thought I might get more responses with a better title. This is the sound of a sick 77 258. It has new- wiring, carb, coil, alt, wires, cap, intake/exhaust gaskets, belts, battery, plugs, fuel filter, belts. Pretty much every thing else looks to be about 10 years old+ and this is what she sounds like

http://www.jeepz.com/videos/buckhour.mp3

Well now that you've replaced everything outside the motor, ya may as well rebuild the motor. I did the same thing on my 76 CJ5. I kept throwing money at it and it was just wore out. Rebuilt it and since I had already replaced all the outside stuff I was even more happy with it once it was done. I don't know your situation, but it wasn't really that expensive. Just something to think about.

That ping you hear is multiple misfires in succession. It would have to be multiple valves or rods to do that and I don't have the sewing machine tick from a bad valve.
I've been told the "bid" ignition modules go bad all the time. But I have no experience with them.

A quick compression test will tell you if its the valves or rods.

I agree, always check the compression. If you have a problem it will show up. It the compression is decent in all cylinders and you have oil pressure, run it til she blows. You can get a 258 anywhere.

I would just drive it till the doors fall off. But I can't keep it running under 1600 rpm. It stalls out.

I don't know if this matters or if I already mentioned it. When I start it cold and the fast idle screw kicks in. The engine runs fine for about two mins. Then you can hear the stumble starting. Few min later it sounds like Elmer Fud explaining something in a hurry... And we are supposed to get flood waters today... I CAN'T MISS ALL THE FUN!!

check for vacuum leaks again? maybe the intake or carb bolts loosened up on you? just tossing stuff out now

superj said:
check for vacuum leaks again? maybe the intake or carb bolts loosened up on you? just tossing stuff out now

I actually pulled the carb and manifolds off Yesterday to check just that. Cleaned em put it back and wahla! Same noise lol grrrr

I started it this morning and it's not misfiring anywhere near as bad. But the engine keeps surging like it has a vacuum leak. my engine is pretty stripped down. I don't have any vacuum lines except the pcv hose and the vacuum advance. (jk)

since you are running a weber, what is the fuel pressure regulator set to?

webers are really sensitive to fuel pressure so if you don;t have a regulator, you are going to have trouble

hmm, ok. are your sires cross firing on each other? is the spark jumping from wire to wire when the wires get warm?

no, the actual wires? the best way to check is to start the jeep and let it run till it has trouble (at night) and then pop hte hood and look for electricity jumping from wire to wire.

superj said:
no, the actual wires? the best way to check is to start the jeep and let it run till it has trouble (at night) and then pop hte hood and look for electricity jumping from wire to wire.

I literally just changed the wires over to 8mm and then I added a DUI distributor (the kind that has the coil) and the engine does run a little cooler and smoother. It unfortunately is still surging and stalling.

i forgot, from the other thread.

do you have a gauge on the line after that fuel pressure regulator? i had a mr gasket on my bmw with a gauge and even though the regulator said it was at 3.5, the gauge said it was actually surging over 6psi. i switched to a holley regulator and never had a problem again.

i also had a mr.gasket on this wrangler from the previous owner. i believe i swapped it for a holley already but if i didn't, the holley regulator is in the shed waiting to be put on.

that mr. gasket pressure regulator is pretty sad. i wouldn't buy one after the two experiences i have had with them. i would put a gauge on your line though, if you don't have one so you can be sure of your pressure

I normally work on the jeep outside and I have almost no sense of smell. Today its in the garage and even with the garage door open my eyes were burning. I tried adjusting the idle screws. But even turning them down all the way the engine is staying in the higher revs.

jets to big? but if you are turning the mixture screws and nothing is changing then the carb is messed up.

Back