Grotesque projects

VeeDubb

Hi there jeep-folk! I happened by and thought I'd drop in. I'm not a jeep owner anymore, but will be again in the future. As for now, I have a few questions.
I have been dealing primarily with VW's in the last few years, and miss the offroading lifestyle. Being military, I cannot have the fleet of project vehicles that I would like, because they don't move well between assignments.
I have decided to embark on a project that will combine my love for volkswagens and for offroading by literally combining the two ideals. I would like to literally use a volkswagen unibody as a cabin, mounted onto a rolling 4x4 chassis (jeep or other).
Has anyone tried such a project, or know anyone who has? I'm looking for any tricks, tips, info, etc that I can get my hands on. Here's the kicker: I want to make something that can be tagged street legal, yet be versatile as a medium-duty offroader.

I'm sure you will all think I am crazy, but I'm looking for any guidance I can find. Thanks!

Sweet idea! I would love to see that monster. I'm sure it would be possible if you have the right tools and know how to fab. My main concern would be the wheel base of the VW and the Jeep, I know they are both short but how close exactly?? I would check that out first just so you don't have tires infront of the bumper or anything wierd like that. Have you tried to do a search for such a thing on the internet?? Maybe someone tried this already. Anyway I say go for it... as long as you are using it for offroading it's okay in my book. I want to see pics when your done!!

No technical info, but, i've seen a VW bug body mounted on a jeep frame....so, somehow, i can be done....

Welcome!
I have also seen VW bugs on cut down toyota frames! It is not the width but rather the length the is shortened. The only issue that I see with doing something like this is the body work to change the bug to a front engine. I know you can buy kits to do it, but they are expensive. also there will be a considerable amount of floor board work and firewall work to be done. I wouls advise that you go with a 4 banger V6, or V8 due to there shorter length size , I think a straight 6 would be far too long for the bugs trunk/new engine compartment!

Johnny

Hey VeeDubb,

I'm into VWs and Jeeps as well. Currently I have 16 aircooled VWs out back. I had as many as 23, but I'm recovering from my addiction and trimming back! I just got my first Jeep this year and It's starting all over again....now I'm out looking for Jeeps.

Anyway, I thought about putting a Beetle (a REAL one!) on a 4wd chassis at one time. My cousin collects old Ford Broncos (1966 to 1977). I measured the wheelbase of one of those and they are damn close to a Beetle. I don't know about you, but I would not want to deal with resizing a frame, so I would go with one already the right size.

I do know that a CJ5 is much shorter than a Beetle, don't know about a CJ7 (I have not measured one).

Also, I would use a 1968 or newer Beetle for the donor body because they have a VIN plate attached to the dash which could be used for registration purposes. The older ones are up front behind the spare tire, this area will need to be cut away to clear the engine installation of the 4wd, that would mean you would need to relocate the VIN plate.....which can be heavily frowned upon by the DMV. (molested VIN identification plate)

Hope this helps some and keep us posted if you decide to do it.

26142-3.jpg

Found at: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/index.mv

I spent years, as kind of a sideline, trying to make something that would do the pit with the 4X´s (there always was a 2X class that everybody ignored). Every few years we would turn out another creation. One of the crazyest, was the front clip off of a front wheel drive Toronado, on the back of a VW. 350, auto, welded spiders. Kept having to put wieght in the front and extending the front wheel base, trying to keep it on the ground. But heck it was fun. Straight pipes, tractor tires, grunt, roar and dig. :D

Back