Gotta love the Bible belt....

Sounds like the Missionary Baptist churches in Eastern Arkansas except they kick you out if you don't vote democrat........

First of all, I think if a pastor wants to make political comments he should be able to do so without losing his tax exempt status, but I wouldn't be a member of a church that made politics a frontline issue wether it be pro republican or pro democrat. I don't go to church to hear politics. I get enough of it on Jeepz :roll:

RE: New York Traffic

Mud wrote
I guess God's a Republican.

In that church...but in Rev Al Sharpton or Rev Jesse Jackson's, God is more likely Democrat..or do they even have a church?

I found this quote from the Washinton Times from last fall's campaign.

"Mr. Kerry attended Mount Hermon African Methodist Episcopal Church in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., where Pastor John F. White said God's work will be done through voters' selecting Mr. Kerry, as it was through Moses' leading the Israelites out of Egypt."

I personally do not agree with most of the pandering done from pulpits on this subject. Pastor's are better to just remind the people of God's standards for leaders and tell them to vote their heart.

RE: Sig question

TwistedCopper said:
.............I don't go to church to hear politics. I get enough of it on Jeepz :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I hear THAT, TC! And 90xj, I agree, I don't agree with ANY pandering done from the pulpits on this subject.

Fortunately, we've only had one pastor at our church who did any talking on politics (and was quickly ousted by the conference). I do think churches that push a single political party should lose their tax-exempt status....because at that point they are not a church, they have become political advocates.

RE: New York Traffic

Sparky-Watts said:
Fortunately, we've only had one pastor at our church who did any talking on politics (and was quickly ousted by the conference). I do think churches that push a single political party should lose their tax-exempt status....because at that point they are not a church, they have become political advocates.

much agreed

The mans job is to align his congregation with the views of God as he sees them in his interpretations of the Bible, and to lead them down the road that God has instructed us to follow.

Whatever was he thinking by telling his congregation that they shouldn't support a man who supports abortion and homosexuality? :roll:

Supporting Kerry, and some of his key stances are counter to Gods wishes as this man has interpreted, and to not inform his flock of that would be a failure on his part. Separation of church and state(which is a distorted idea anyway) has nothing to do with this.

C'mon, Junk! These are 20, 30, 40 year members of this church that this guy is kicking out. Politics has no business whatsoever in a church. I read an interview with Billy Graham's son on this issue and he made a very good point - homosexuality and abortion are MORAL issues, not political issues. Neither Bush nor Kerry can do squat about either one of those issues (Executive Branch of the Government). I think the guy needs to work on his interpretations of the Bible.

What is said inside the walls of any church is their business and no one elses. The government has no business dictating what they can or cannot talk about. Being tax exempt is a tool for the government to influence the church, and I have to wonder after reading this story if it is worth it.

A private, non-profit organization should be able to speak freely, and accept or banish members as they see fit for whatever reason they see fit.

Again, I don't care for political drum beating in church, but just because it is not my bag doesn't mean they should be penalized for it.

Junkpile said:
Separation of church and state(which is a distorted idea anyway) has nothing to do with this.

Just want to throw it out there that the "separation of church and state" was a a quote by Thomas Jefferson that held the idea to protect the churches from government influence and/or control, not to protect the government from the church ;) See, back then they knew what an overbearing government was capable of, hence the many many warnings to keep government small. Where are these good men now :(

Oh, and don't anyone be duped into thinking this is a constitutional issue... it isn't even in the constitution. Many Democrats would like you to believe it is in there, but it's not :!:

RE: 1979 jeep cj question

TwistedCopper said:
........................Oh, and don't anyone be duped into thinking this is a constitutional issue... it isn't even in the constitution. Many Democrats would like you to believe it is in there, but it's not :!:

:shock: Never crossed my mind. I just think this preacher is kinda missing his mission. I personally don't believe God differentiates between Republican, Democrat, Libertarian......whatever. My father, grandfather, uncle, a couple cousins, and a brother-in-law are/were preachers of different faiths. From my personal experience, I gotta say what's happening in this church is insane. I feel for the congregation.

TwistedCopper said:
Oh, and don't anyone be duped into thinking this is a constitutional issue... it isn't even in the constitution. Many Democrats would like you to believe it is in there, but it's not :!:

Would any conservative deny that "Religious Liberty" is a constitutional principle? No.
Is it? Absolutely. Yet, no where in the constitution are these words present. Absence of word doesn't connotate absence of principle. To site such facts in this way is captiousness to the 'nth degree.

We've already been through this...specifically on page 5 of the infamous "Free Speech" thread:
http://www.jeepz.com/index.php?name...ic&t=322230&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

To put it simply, there are a lot of constitutional priciples not found in the constitution. And such absence is irrelevant.

TwistedCopper said:
Just want to throw it out there that the "separation of church and state" was a a quote by Thomas Jefferson that held the idea to protect the churches from government influence and/or control, not to protect the government from the church ;) See, back then they knew what an overbearing government was capable of, hence the many many warnings to keep government small. Where are these good men now :(

Thank you TC!!! :shock: It's good to know someone knows there stuff. Kind of off topic but relating to religion. Our history books are slowly being published to teach our children to believe that our ancestors sailed across the atlantic just to gain riches and for adventure. Yes those are true, but the main reason was religious freedom. They are somehow leaving that out. :? All I am trying to say is our history, the history of the united states. It is slowly being erased and being told like it never happened. The world is going to be so messed up when I have kids. Its going to suck. :x

Sully said:
TwistedCopper said:

Thank you TC!!! :shock: It's good to know someone knows there stuff. Kind of off topic but relating to religion. Our history books are slowly being published to teach our children to believe that our ancestors sailed across the atlantic just to gain riches and for adventure. Yes those are true, but the main reason was religious freedom. They are somehow leaving that out. :? All I am trying to say is our history, the history of the united states. It is slowly being erased and being told like it never happened. The world is going to be so messed up when I have kids. Its going to suck. :x

Sully, if you ever get the time, do a search and read the "Mayflower Compact". It is the agreement drawn up on the trip over here and it remained as this country's "constitution" if you will for years and was the basis . That document clearly states that they came here "Having undertaken for the Glory of God, and Advancement of the Christian Faith". The document isn't even mentioned in public schools, as it mentions the "C" word :shock:

Another reason my kids are homeschooled, and I assure you Sully, they will be taught an accurate depiction of history.

Mingez said:
Would any conservative deny that "Religious Liberty" is a constitutional principle? No.
Is it? Absolutely. Yet, no where in the constitution are these words present. Absence of word doesn't connotate absence of principle. To site such facts in this way is captiousness to the 'nth degree.

To put it simply, there are a lot of constitutional priciples not found in the constitution. And such absence is irrelevant.
Well Mingez, I would hope that any good conservative would remind you that absence of word absolutley connotates an absence of principal and that most importantly you must have overlooked the first sentance in the Bill of Rights, which is as follows:
Bill of Rights
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

This is the closest reference anyone will find to the separation of church and state. It clearly states that there should be no laws pertaining to religious establishments and clearly protects the right to worship. This is clearly a law to protect the church. They didn't make reference to protecting government from religion because they knew that government is the one that is dangerous. These men were Christians and they lived and governed by putting God first. That's right... first, as in the first sentance in the Bill of Rights.

So why would anyone deny it? What I would deny is a made up pipe dream that "separation of Church and State" is in the constitution.

RE: Dusy-Ershim Trail, Central CA

PTP? What does that mean Sparky?

death wobble woes...

OK! Once you get the popcorn going, log on to WaynesvilleLive.com. Some funny/scary reading there in the forum section!

Back