Got the winch on!

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper

OK....I straightened out the OEM bumper that the wife and daughter bent(thats another story), which by the way was not an easy task since it is made of "spring steel", but with a little heat, all came into place.

Bought a piece of 6"x4"x3/8" angle iron 55" long. ($32.00). Mated the 2 together with the 6" side flate against the top of the OEM bumper then tapered the ends to match.

Mounted a WARN 4000# winch behind the 4" uprite.

Now I know some of you Guy's are already muttering to yourself "Thats not big enough to pull a itself out of a mud puddle". Which might be true to some extent.....but the price was very right....got it for cost at the HONDA dealership I work at. :lol: So for now it will do. :wink:

Here are a couple of pics...it was rainy today and about dark...will get better ones later.
2sk1u-2.jpg

2sk1y-2.jpg

You are correct. That 4000# winch will due just fine and even better if you use a snatch block. Just because you pull out a winch cable does not mean that you have to be able to move mountians with your equiptment.

I hope you don't find out the hard way that that's not enough winch. It'll be marginal with a snatch block, but it's your time.

The winch mount need not be any wider than the frame rails, and the vertical doesn't need to be any wider than the fairlead, I'd cut all that extra off. Probably shave 30pounds or more.

Other than that, way to go. What'd it cost ya?

Ring & Pinion - maybe more...

The Steel was 32.00 the winch was 215.00. I wanted the extra lenth for a GOOD bumper, since wife and daughter bent the driver end of the OEM....told them to go ahead and hit a tree now and see what happens! :twisted:
I'm going to mount recovery rings on the vertical right above the frame rails.
Gota find a snatch block for sure!

Next time they bang something it'll be a tweaked frame instead of a wrinkled bumper. Sometimes it's better to not overbuild something. I get what you were trying to achieve, though. Feels better to make it yourself, doesn't it?

No doubt! I felt good about how it turned out and I have to admit...I'm fairly proud of the ol' Jeeper now!

I hope you don't find out the hard way that that's not enough winch. It'll be marginal with a snatch block, but it's your time.
Bounty, I really can't believe that I'm disagreeing with you, but it really all depends on your wheeling habits and how badly you're going to get stuck. I got freed once by a 2000#'er on an ATV (yes, I know, VERY embarrassing, but I was new and stupid and only high centered). for (0IIII0), yes, I would highly recommend a snatchblock to give that thing some extra "ooomph". And/or, keep a high-lift jack handy. Looks good - happy "sticking"!!

And I've had people laugh at me for a 6000#er!!!

Bounty's right, that's too small. On the other hand, I've been in plenty of minor stuck situations where a 4,000# winch would have done the job.

Run what ya brung, and use what works for you. I wouldn't dis ya because I never know who's going to be tugging on the other end of my strap ;) It's all in good fun and constructive criticism.

Not bug'n on me......I enjoy the feedback.

I have learned quite alot from you guys...and gals! THANK YOU!

Wife says I'm obsessed with JEEPZ.COM....geez where does she get that...just because I'm on here 3-4 times aday...............

I'd rather have a 4K lb winch than the one I have now (none), but I would definately have a backup plan (hi-lift). Something to remember when you do find it straining is that if you anchor to stuff using the first layer of line and a snatch block you'll get the most out of it. It may take some strap(s), creative rigging, and re-rigging though.

I used the 6000 for a year with no problem. 1st layer for sure.

Iam looking for another 6000 or 4000 for a rear winch.
As for the point of strength and safety. I have Weak points in mine just for that. Not enough to give under 30mph or so. But a good hit at 60 would cause it to crumple and sher the bolts.

an soa story

About 12 or so years ago when I lived in Ky. I was out wheeling with some guys on a powerline hill. This hill was the only way in or out of our playground. I had a 1980 Toyota 4x4 on 31x10.50's. Any ways this hill was very long and quite steep. so much so that any more angle would have kept me off the hill due to the carb not getting fuel. Float did not work well on steep hills. It was a very dry summer that year and the hill was hard as a rock. Every one made it back up the hill but me. I got stuck on hard dry ground. The tires would not bite because the ground was too hard and dusty. We did not have enough ropes to reach my truck so we tied it off to a tree and left it there for the night. I had a friend with a cj5 and a 10,000 pound winch come get me the next day. as he started winching me I was in my truck driving up the hill and he did something that shocked me. He could tell but the sound of the winch that it was not pulling hard so he grabed the cable and pulled it with his hand and that was all my truck needed to make it up the hill. I was so mad and embarassed but I learned something. Sometimes you need a 10,000# plus winch and sometimes just a few extra pounds will do.

Good point. And sometimes you need an 8000 lb. winch, and sometimes you need an 8002 lb. winch. You never know. 4000 lbs. will do plenty, and you never know. It's better than mine, a 0 pounder.

mingez said:
Good point. And sometimes you need an 8000 lb. winch, and sometimes you need an 8002 lb. winch. You never know. 4000 lbs. will do plenty, and you never know. It's better than mine, a 0 pounder.
yep, i agree mingez, i'd take a 4000 pounder over nothing any day..

whiterubicon said:
he did something that shocked me. He could tell but the sound of the winch that it was not pulling hard so he grabed the cable and pulled it with his hand and that was all my truck needed to make it up the hill.
I've worked as a lineman about 10 years before going to the tel-co. I would NEVER get in between a winch and it's load to pull on the line. I have seen commercial equipment fail that was used properly and inspected on a daily basis. It can and does happen, and believe you me you don't wan't to be in the path if it does. This is why winches come with remotes, so you can get the heck out of the way.

Powerlines are my second home. We have some hills that make me wonder how they pulled the cable.
Slap a yellow light on the truck, No questions Asked

Back