FYI. Law in Florida says you can take the doors off.

southtj

Posted on Tue, Feb. 22, 2005

Sure, yank the doors off that Wrangler

By Ron Hartung

TALLAHASSEE DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Dear Traffic Doctor,

I am a faithful Jeep Wrangler owner who loves the benefits of Tallahassee's warm climate in an open-top vehicle. Every spring, after what seems like a never-ending winter, I remove my Jeep's top and doors and head out on the road. NOTHING is better than the wind in your hair and the breeze on your legs.

When you remove the doors, though, you lose the side-view mirrors. Is it legal to drive without them?

TJ

Readers in Buffalo might curl their Arctic-chapped lips at your reference to our "never-ending winter." Nonetheless, your legs will be happy to hear Highway Patrol Lt. John Bagnardi say you can let the breezes blow.

"It is lawful to remove the doors and top of TJ's Jeep," he says, "as long as all necessary safety equipment is in operation."

Florida Statute 316.294 requires a mirror "so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear." He says the mirror mounted on the inside of your windshield serves that purpose.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/10958221.htm

need help identifying a T-18

In Alabama you can take the doors off too.

I believe in Tennessee you can remove the doors so long as you have TWO mirrors. I THINK that is correct.

Arkansas- You can take the doors off.....hell half the "beaters" on the road don't have mirrors, But I think your required to have one. Probably the same a FL. I like my mirrors so I'm gona get some relocators...

Kansas requires two mirrors, one inside on the windshield and one outside on the driver's side......pulled up next to our Chief of Police last summer and asked him about it.....without my doors and only one mirror. But, he's seen me several times since with no doors and doesn't care. He's told me before that he's not after nitpicky crap like that, but only for the real illegal or unsafe stuff. It's so good to be friends with the Chief in a town of only 900 residents!!!

LadyJeepFreak said:
I have the safari ones myself and love them to DEATH.
Green with envy here Lady! I want a set but everywhere I look they are N/A.......

I have brackets for my roof rack bolted to the windshield hinges. I just bought a little $3 mirror from the parts store and rigged it to the bracket......can't see out of it, but it's a mirror!

RE: do i need shock boots?

Here in Oregon you're just supposed to have at least 2 mirrors...on the windshield and driver's side.

But, I never had ANY mirrors on my Jeep as long as I owned it. Never got in trouble for it either. But cops here are usually pretty cool about stuff like that (notice the word "usually"!!).

RE: interesting rig of the month

It's so good to be friends with the Chief in a town of only 900 residents!!!
Isn't everyone friends with the chief in a town that small? :lol:

1993 YJ Sahara FOR SALE

I really miss having any mirror on the occasional jaunt to the trailhead from the campground with the windshield folded down.

RE: Re: Detroit or ARB in rear DANA 44?

MerkL said:
It's so good to be friends with the Chief in a town of only 900 residents!!!
Isn't everyone friends with the chief in a town that small? :lol:

Not quite everyone, but yeah, almost.....we don't call 911, we usually just walk down the block and knock on his door if there's a major crime wave like a dog on the loose or something similarly heinous.

Re: RE: THrottle body spacers?

Not quite everyone, but yeah, almost.....we don't call 911, we usually just walk down the block and knock on his door if there's a major crime wave like a dog on the loose or something similarly heinous.

We dont call 911 either... we just load up our own guns :D then again my town has about 20 people.

Back