fuel problem

killerb7854

After filling my 91 cherokee to the brim with gas it sputterd and stalled. It started back up afterwards but did not run for long before it sputtered out once again. Everytime I started it run time became less and less before stalling. I put in some isopropyl gas line antifreeze and shook her up a bit thinking maby there was some condensation in the lines due to the cold weather we have been having but it still continued to sputter and stall. Running time continued become shorter with every start until it would just fire up for a sec and sputter out everytime. Had to have it towed home last night.

Today I went to depressurize the fuel system at the test port on the fuel rail and there was no pressure or gas spraying out. After that I disconnected the fuel filter on the side going to the engine and flow seems to be fine. This leads me to belive it is the fuel pump but I want to be sure before I replace it cause I havce a full tank of gas.

For a week or so before this happend the gas guage has not functioned and right after I filled up and this problem started I noticed the fuel gauge read correctly. not sure if the problems are related but I figured I would throw that in.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

If there is no pressure at the fuel rail while cranking, then it probably is a bad pump. If you really want to be sure you could hook a small piece of hose directly to the pump's output and see if anything comes out. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Found the problem! After reading posts all yesturday morning found one you wrote on the ballast resistor. Sure enough I put a little wire across the two terminals and voila, purrin like a kitten. I went to the parts store and got one for like $5. I would have never found it if it wern't for you guys on the boards. Thanks xjnick. Jeepz.com rulez!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I'm glad to hear it was an inexpensive fix. It always tends to be the little things you'd forget about checking that can cause problems :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Back