Fixed my power steering pump

extra-medium

I took my old power steering pump out and when I got the pulley off the seal for the bearings came off with it. There were about half the bearings left inside it, and a couple of them had been flattened. Before I fixed it I had a loud knocking sound that I figured was the motor, but now with the new pump it has completely gone away and my jeep doesn't sound like its going to die. Tomorrow I am going to go get my other two wheels put on so I have matching wheels, and in a couple weeks it is going to go into the shop and get one of the oil leaks fixed. Here is a pic of the damage.
image-missing.png

Last edited:

Good for you man, I kinda have the same feeling... I have a toyota t100 pickup thought the bottom end was making some noise and of course this would mean overhaul or new engine. well the water pump went out and when removing the timing cover to replace it I found the idler pully for the timing belt was the culprit of what i though was bottom end noise. fixed it along with a new water pump and pully............. Purrs like a kitten again.

It's amazing how much noise something like that can cause, and how it can almost throw it to another part of the engine. I even had a mechanic listening to my Jeep run and he said it sounded like the bottom end with the exhaust manifold leaking.

Back