Exhaust choices, sum it up:)

288sunny

After looking through countless threads about exhaust and different setups i still couldnt narrow down what works and whats a waste..

So is it a flowmaster 40, 50, something else special??
How about magnaflow, built with stainless steel, which in my book is a plus over flowmaster? which one and why?

How about banks, or borla?? If possible please list your thoughts, opinions, etc... pics, sound videos would be a huge help as well...

I was also curious, i have a 2003 and my o2 sensors are way before my cat, so if i remove my cat, and just straight pipe it, not looking for any gains, just dont want any loss in torque?? my cat is shot and id rather not waste the money on it... thanks and hopfully everyone will chime in so this thread can answer everyones ?'s
brickwall-1.gif

depending on your state, you can't remove your cat, further more, if you do remove it, you will see little to no gain and your motor will run like poop, your down stream O2 sensor will read rich and your ecm will lean the crap out of A/F mixture, possibly to the point of not running.

99% of all cat back systems are pretty much the same pertaining to function, biggest discrepencies would be construction (galvi vs stainless for example) and sound. Personally, if there is nothing wrong with you current exhaust, I would just cut the muffler off and put a flowmaster up in it's place.

Catalytic converters are mandatory by federal law, not states laws. If you travel to some states, just passing through, like Arnold's state, the highway patrol will confiscate your vehicle. Best to leave the cat on.

I ALWAYS (now) choose the 40 series delta flowmaster muffler and run 2.5 from the cat back. If you're stupid, (like I was), you will convert to TWIN cats behind Hooker headers to twin 2.5" 40's. Too much flow for the 6 bangers. The cat back 2.5" to 40 series flowmaster gives you PLANTY of flow, power and noise. They do make flowmasters these days in stainless too.

(I ran my own exhaust on a previously owned YJ *twin cats* and plan to do my own again on my current project CJ-3B)

You can get a good flowing Catco converter for $60-$100, so they're not expensive and do not hinder performance. That is if yours is bad already.

I installed a Banks Monster cat-back on a friend's jeep, very good product.

This article helped me make my decision. I went with the Borla cat back and love it. It quiet enough but has a good rumble on acceleration but wont bother you at freeway speeds. Here is a sound clip but I've noticed I can barely hear it on my laptop speakers. They don't reproduce the bass well. Need headphones or decent desktop speakers with a sub.

FWIW, I have a Gibson cat-back on my Sport Trac that I like a lot and it was a slam-dunk to install.
On the Jeep I need a new cat because the used car lot or whoever put some muffler patching compound where the pipes attach to the cat. Not sure what kind to get though. Prefer something that hooks up to the OE exhaust in case I put a Gibson or whatever on.

I went with the Banks Monster Cat Back great sound and no problem to install. Also have the Banks Ram Air which adds to the sound and fun. Maybe some extra horses really can't tell but I like the results in MPG:D

Catalytic converters are mandatory by federal law, not states laws. If you travel to some states, just passing through, like Arnold's state, the highway patrol will confiscate your vehicle. Best to leave the cat on.

True, a cat is a federal mandate, but some states like Florida do not have a state inspection system, so if you take the cat off, there is no way to regulate it.

True, a cat is a federal mandate, but some states like Florida do not have a state inspection system, so if you take the cat off, there is no way to regulate it.

Yes, my area doesn't have inspections either, but if it ever gets noticed while on a trip, many states will confiscate. I'm paranoid because I'm always the one in a billion idiots who get caught and made an example of.

now that we have got past all the federal requirements and whats needed, etc.. what muffler is your top choice, flomaster 40, 50, delta, etc.. magnaflow, dynaflow, borla, gibson, whatever??

I havnt decided wheather or not im going to remove my cat, but if i stick with it, what is the top of line, best flowing, etc... cat to get... I live in FL, no inspections and its just holding me back, so many choices???

I went with the Banks Monster Cat Back great sound and no problem to install. Also have the Banks Ram Air which adds to the sound and fun.
If you don't mind my asking, what did the Banks system cost? PM is okay if you want to tell me privately. I see Banks has a 4-banger header and exhaust but no intake. Bud of mine put the full Banks Power Pack on his 33' motorhome and it makes a lot more power. Pricey as hell though.

the magnaflow has packin in it that will eventaully blow out.. i have ran a 40 series flowmaster for 7 years now.. has no rust. it is pretty beat up from getting used as a skid plate. on stumps and the such.. i would strongly recomend flowmaster. 40 or 50 seris mufflers or the new 44 offroad muffler by flowmaster.

Back