Drivers start your engines!

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
Is anyone else here a NASCAR fan?
I can't wait for the Daytona 500 this weekend. I am so giddy with excitment. Almost as much as when the patriots were going to be in the super bowl!

I am a big Sterling Marlin Fan! But I also love all the DEI drivers! Especially the one that is now Gods personal Driver!

God Bless #3

I never actually got into NASCAR. Don't get me wrong, the cars are amazing. I just don't see what can be so interesting about watching a bunch of cars go around in a circle for so long.

yeah..same..seems boring. Though..I don't fallow it or anything but WRC is some good watching.

WHO?????? :lol: :lol:

Only when they get to turn right too.

Non-Nascar fans usually have never been to a race in person. Like myself. :( I used to never understand the draw to outlaw sprints but the wrecks. THEN I watched one in person, ate sand, got it my eyes, my drink, and well....................I understand now. It was fricken excellent!!!!

I live close enough to go to a few races, maybe once I do that I will get hooked.

Oddly enough the only race I watched in the last two decades was the one that Dale passed on. Terrible Terrible day.

brake and seatbelt light staying on

This is going to be Bobby Labonte's year!!!! :D :D

Good old Matt is going to take the points two in a row. If not him it is going to be Jimmy Johnson this year.

Just a few miles down the road from here we have the Bristol International Speedway. So if you live close enought to know to avoid the traffic that week in Bristol You have to follow NASCAR a little any ways.

Gordan is no favorite of mine but here is where I really cross the line with the majority I was not a #3 fan either. Never wanted him to come to an end like he did but never liked the ol hero.

Hard Luck Harry Gant was my driver for years. Awsome Bill from Dawsonville is pretty cool in my book. Robbie Marso was my rookie pick and that ended bad.So I don't know who is worthy of my support these days.

Not understanding NASCAR is not all that uncommon. It is not a race of drivers but a race of teams. The Pits are the stars of the race and the behind the wall folks rull the race. Builders advertisers and ect...

It is mostly a southern thing but it has grown to an international event. Need to go see a race in person one time and you will understand. It is wild and there is no other sport any thing like it on earth. Kind of like the Jeep thing you either understand or you do not.

The Labontte crew are by far my favorite people in NASCAR. May not be my favoirte drivers but as far as folks go they are the tops along with the Petty Clan. Reason is they are true southern God Fearing folk like myself and drive a clean race.

NASCAR has to be right cause 50,000,000 screaming, colorful ball cap with drivers names and number wearing, funny looking shirt wearing, hard made income spending, Fighten over their drivers honor, rednecks can't be wrong! hehehehe tug :wink:

benefits of installing new rockers and push rods?

Jeff is a great driver. He learned all his tricks from the Master Dale Sr. To bad he is a whiney little bastage.

Stock car racing is more than just turning right and going in circles. accually most of the ovals are left turns, but there are also road courses that are similar to the IROC race tracks.

It is also very interesting to see how the pit crews and mechnics dial in the cars, what the stradegy's are to get them to the winners circle. There must be something en-vigorating about traveling 185 mph with some one two inches to the left, two inches to te right, some ones up your a$$ and your up some ones a$$!

I live near Loudon International race way (an hour away) and Ya traffic stinks.

Remember" Rubbin is Racin! "

Racing I respect, but much more fun to do than to watch. Left turns... I had a friend convince me to go to an event. It's much better live true, but I could do without it. It, to me, was about as fun as horse racing.

But, I respect the effort by the pit crew, and the skill of the drivers. I also think my problem with it is that it is substantially lower in prominence than formula 1. It's like watching the CFL, yeah, it's fun but it's not the NFL.

I know I know, formula 1 and cart can't bump and rub. My buddy said that too.

mingez said:
I also think my problem with it is that it is substantially lower in prominence than formula 1.

:shock: :shock: WHAT? Lower in prominence? In what country?

Everyone that I know that enjoys motorsports keeps up with, watches NASCAR. While I realize that there is a following for Cart and F1, I personally don't know anyone in the US that watches it like they do NASCAR. In other countries, I'll agree with your statement but not here in the good ol' US of A. I think the tv ratings would show us what motorsport is the prominent one. :twisted: :D

south442 said:
mingez said:
I also think my problem with it is that it is substantially lower in prominence than formula 1.

:shock: :shock: WHAT? Lower in prominence? In what country?

Everyone that I know that enjoys motorsports keeps up with, watches NASCAR. While I realize that there is a following for Cart and F1, I personally don't know anyone in the US that watches it like they do NASCAR. In other countries, I'll agree with your statement but not here in the good ol' US of A. I think the tv ratings would show us what motorsport is the prominent one. :twisted: :D

:lol: Hahaha.. Yeah, you are correct good sir! I meant world wide. And money wise. Remember, we aren't the only country in the world. Highest paid "atheletes" in the world are Formula 1 drivers. More than Soccer, Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey you name it.

Lower in prominence was probably a bad choice of words. "Prominence is dependant on criteria. It's like soccer (also don't like soccer) Higher paid, most watched world wide but I could care less who wins the worldcup. (As long as it isn't France). Outside the US, Nascar doesn't have a huge following. Like I said, I respect it though.

Circular tracks are boring.

I used to be a racing fan. I dont know why I am not now but I grew out of it. I think the injuries and deaths did it for me. It is an exciting thing, the noise, dirt, screaming, etc. but so are alot less dangerous things.

I was married into a racing family years ago, micro sprints. They built and ran them on the dirt tracks and paved too. The whole lifestyle was exciting and awesome, but I saw soooooooooooo many injuries and then this one...... I'll never ever forget it. It was my brother in law whom i was very close to of course, and his whole family. Dirt track, we were all there, standing next to the wall since they also sold parts we could be up close and all.

Well, this man (in his 40's) drove his whole life without any major accidents somehow entered into a turn wrong and hit the wall at his max speed, i forget how much it was now but it was horrifying to us. Those micro sprints are small and he was a big dude, the thing wrapped right around his body but he was twisted like a pretzel in the car in the first place. Well he hit that wall HARD, went airborn, bounced off the dirt track and back in the air, clipped the wall again and went flying OVER the wall and its retaining fence as the last hurrah. I just knew he was dead.

He had sustained major head injures and worst of all, broke his back in like three or four places. He was flown to shock trauma and you can imagine what ensued. Years of trauma and work. He's alive now but only selling parts not racing. He does walk but not straight and not without daily pain. This was even before some of the famous racers died in Nascar, I was still following when those happened and then it was enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, if everyone was headed to the track I'd tag along but I'm not going to put my energies into following it like I used to.

P.S. Good luck to all those race fans out there! May God be with your Driver.

Lady

Couldnt stand Dale Sr. But i still didnt want to see him die. Cant stand Gordan, but ya gotta admit, he's a good driver. There isnt one guy out on that track that isnt a good driver, or they wouldnt be there.

Anyway, used to be a big NASCAR fan, not so sure with all the rule changes and political BS anymore. Seems to get worse every year. And this new points system is SCREWED. But im sure ill still watch most of the races, still like that.

Personally im a Mark Martin fan and a Roush Racing fan in general. Been to the Brickyard 3 years now, and i know all about the traffic. Lots of fun, but we're thinking about trying to go see something else instead of the Brickyard cuz thats just not a real good track to watch a race at. There's no such thing as a good seat there. Id love to hit Bristol, but i dont know if thats going to happen.

Anyhow, ill shut up now :lol:

Nathan

I only watched Nascar for a few years back when I was a lineman with the IBEW. All the older hillbillies (I mean that in a good way) were NASCAR fans so I had to watch to know what the heck they were talkin' about every Monday morning. I pretty much have phased out from it since then, but at the time I really enjoyed needling them about Gordon because they Were all Earnhart fans and I wanted to be a catalyst (imagine that) :D . I thought Gordon was a great driver back then but since he and Ray Eversham (sp?) parted he hasn't been as good so who knows... I think it is more of a team sport than alot give it credit for.

Ya, #8 won!! Both races! the 500 and the postponed 300!!!!
I though it was a great race, but did anyone else see the interview with michael waltrip after his accident. all he did was complain that they were using safty precautions! he wanted them just to roll the car over so he could get out. Saying that he didn't need a neck brace and all that.

Gordon is no longer the biggest winer, waltrip is!!

Also did you notice who wil be racing the toyota tundra in the craftsman truck series, Darell Waltrip??

I can understand Waltrip's point. Dude is just tall. He was hanging upside down, trapped while they were fooling with the jaws of life and such. He felt ok and just wanted out. I wouldn't want to come out that way either. You land on your head.
Anyway. Talladega is my home track. I grew up near there and have been to all but two races there since 1980. I have since been to Bristol, Charlotte, Atlanta, Daytona and soon to Las Vegas.
Who's my favorite? It was the Intimidator. I have painted my Jeep Blue and Yellow as an "old school" memorial to the driver who first won me over to NASCAR driving a blue and yellow Wrangler car.
I met Robbie Gordon last fall at Talladega and invited him to come ride Gardendale with us. He is an avid off roader, mostly of desert style racing and sand rails, but he said he liked the rockcrawling stuff too.
I think it would be great to scare the crap out of him at 5 mph versus the 190 mph he is used to.

I was watching a commercial during the race and they squeezed the wrangler #3 into the commercial, it was awesome. I was a dale fan long before I could even drive! still am! I also understand waltrips point of view, I just don't like a whiner, they were just doing there job, what if he had a neck injury, and didn't know it, they flipped him over with out inspectiong, and now he is paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of his life!

Back