Do Jeeps vibrate????

slydog

Hi all. Looking for an answer to my vibration. I have a 93 YJ 2.5 manny. it will vibrate at engine speeds of about 1500 - 2000 rpm (in any gear 2wd). Escpecially if I'm climbing a gradient. It seems as if it's a hesitation of some sort. has anyone heard or witnessed this? This is what I've ruled out by R&R'ing - - - Tires out of balance, drive shafts, u-joints, plugs, cap, wires, rotor, timing chain, vacuum leaks, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, harmonic balancer, fuel. I think the only thing left is to replace the Jeep with a new one. Thanx for your help.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hi all. Looking for an answer to my vibration. I have a 93 YJ 2.5 manny. it will vibrate at engine speeds of about 1500 - 2000 rpm (in any gear 2wd). Escpecially if I'm climbing a gradient. It seems as if it's a hesitation of some sort. has anyone heard or witnessed this? This is what I've ruled out by R&R'ing - - - Tires out of balance, drive shafts, u-joints, plugs, cap, wires, rotor, timing chain, vacuum leaks, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, harmonic balancer, fuel. I think the only thing left is to replace the Jeep with a new one. Thanx for your help.

image-missing.png
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Why have you ruled all them out,is it all new?[addsig]

Yup. All are new. By the way, I just removed the air intake restrictor as posted on your msg. board.... It really does make a difference. Thanks.

just cant figure out what could cause the vibe. The cat. converter has been hollowed out - all the honeycomb kicked out. Do you think that would do it? If anything I would think it would allow more air to flow.[addsig]

I'm gonna suggest making sure your Ujoint straps are tightened down good on your rear yoke. they back out sometimes.. happens to me all the time. especially after I put a new joint in there.[addsig]

Check your motor and transmission mounts.[addsig]

How bad is the vibration is it one that shakes the steering wheel or one that you feel in your seat and floor? I have one that is caused by the way my exhuast is mounted I feel it in my seat and floor.[addsig]

i used to get horrible driveline vibrations right about when i was getting ready to bust a U-Joint, a SYE and cv style driveshaft fixed all that

[addsig]

doesn't R&R mean "rest and relaxation"? do you mean "R&D: Research and development"?[addsig]

the vibration in jeeps is typically caused by the slip yoke coming

out of the t-case. An easy fix would be to just space down the

cross member about a half inch or until the rear drive shaft is

strait with the differential yoke. Your best way to rid the vibes

is to get a jb sye and a new cv driveshaft, well without a lift you

might not even need a cv style driveshaft.[addsig]

You can also get a nice set of mud tires. They will increase the

vibration a little however the howl of the tires will make you

forget all about the vibration[addsig]

That sucks. The tires will make it do that also.[addsig]

Hey snitty....I use red loctite on my ujoint strap bolts....keeps them in there pretty good. You can't really put much torque on em since they are such small bolts and strip out easy.[addsig]

Yeah... I had a chance to replace them with Ubolt style retainers... but the garage i was working in was closing and i didn't have time to drill the yoke out, so i slapped the straps on... with intentions of going back the next day to do it... I arrived to find that they had been swept up and tossed away. poop on that[addsig]

Back