differential questions

derrelw

Hey all,
I was told by Jeep that my Wrangler had a limited slip rear with 3.73's. I changed the oil in both diff's and the transfer case a couple of weeks ago and both the front and rear diffs looked the same inside to me (D44 rear/D30 front). My question is how can you tell the difference between an open and a limited slip and does anybody have pictures of them that they can post?
Thanks,
Derrel

Roof Rack

Check for a decal wrapped around one end of your rear axletube, right behind the drum backing plate. It'll state the rearend type, diff type, and gear ratio.

Arent you supposed to use that special gear addtive if you have limited slip in the diff? In case you didnt, you may want to make sure before you drive too much.

Spin out in some wet grass and see if it leaves two stripes. Then you'll know.
The only limited slip I've ever paid any attention to was in an old Scout 44 I used to have. The carrier was very similar in appearance, but it had some cutch plates on the outside of it.
Sorry I can't give you a better description but it has been a while and I was replacing it at the time. It got thrown in the trash before I sudied it too hard.

I live in the desert so there isn't much grass around but there is LOTS of sand. If I stomp on it on a dirt road from a dead stop both rear tires spin equally for as long as I keep the gas on.

I checked the rear end and there is a metal tag bolted to the diff cover that says that it's a limited slip. Desert Rat says that it's an open diff. and that I'd notice when going around corners it would chatter if it was limited slip. Sounds like BS to me. Anybody know where I can find pictures of inside a factory D44 rear with an open carrier or a limited slip?
Thanks

Factory limited slips are not very tight. They should not chatter because otherwhise soccer moms would have a fit with the noise. I have only seen inside my 2 model 20's but I would think you could see the spiders if it was open. If not it should be a solid unit. Just an assumption somebody else could probably tell you better.

That diagram shows the clutch plates I was talking about. They are stacked to the sides of the two side spider gears.

Back