detroit lockers

Rudyblasich

wanted to throw some detroit lockers in, but not sure if i should do the front or rear, and if u had any thoughts on the detroits

What kind of driving does your Jeep see? Have you ever driven a vehicle with detroit lockers before, especially a short wheelbase vehicle?

I run full case detriots front and rear, absolutley the best locker for pure durability, and rebuildability. they are not as fancy as selectable arb's for example, but they have an increase durability due to less moving parts, no need to rely on electronics, air lines etc... They are pricey though.

They are not nearly as quirky driving as a lunch box locker, pulling into parking spaces and turning around corners was never an issue, but if I accelerated around a corner, you would hear the inside tire chirp. but you do not hear the annoying ratcheting sound like in a lunch box.

Like I said, I run them front and rear, if my rig was still a daily driver, I would put detroits in my 1 tons in a heart beat, but since I trailer it and it's a trail queen, I'm welding gears and running a spool.

I just put one in the rear of my jeep and I'm not sure if I like it or not. I had a lockrite in it a few years ago and it seemed ok but this detroit is much harder to unlock I think and when it does you definately know it. I have not been offroad yet and that's where it will shine, I hope anyway.

I agree a Detroit Locker is extremely durable and not as ratchety as a lunch box locker. But my experience with lunch box lockers is fairly limited. I also agree the selectable lockers are very pricey, and not as reliable as a Detroit locker. Both of my lockers are full case Detroits and will make a loud bang when they unlock in a turn. To me this is not a big deal but to some it may be.
As far as quirky driving, yes mine are that and more. In "s" turns I get a understeer in the first curve and then a sudden over steer condition when the locker unlocks, usually in the beginning of the second curve. A friend once said that driving behind my Jeep was like following a drunk driver in the turns. lol No I was not drunk either.
I have also noticed if I am under hard power turning a corner i.e. into heavy traffic things get really interesting, really fast. The locker will stay locked and try to push me into the next lane until I quickly get off then back on the gas, then it unlocks and I suddenly have a over steer condition and I dart back to the lane I wanted in the first place.
I am not saying all detroits act like this, but mine do and I am by no means the first person who has had similar issues on the street. My lockers are low mileage say under 1000 miles so maybe they will wear in a little but I'm not holding my breath.
Rudyblasich; if you have lockouts in your front axle then a front locker will have no ill effects on street driving with the lockouts in the free position.

Last edited:
hmm i c. well its still somethin to think about. maybe i should just put them in the front since i am able to switch from 2-4h/4lo. so they will only be in use wen in 4wd, but most of my problems come with the rear end gettin bound up in mud/rocks and not necessarily the front

just athought,i run detroit tru tracs f/r. i don't even notice them on the highway. they take a little learning how to use them off road. but once they lock they work great.plus they un lock easy and quitely. haven't used any other lockers but i have a friend who likes his detroit. happy wheeling

I'd agree the Detroit true trac is a good LSD.

I had a 77cj5 that had a loc-rite in the rear only, I've never run a Detroit but I do know haveing the locker in the rear and not the front was a good thing cause alot've times I didn't need to b in 4 wheel hi or lo so I kinda figured if I'm not runnin 4 wheel all the time I was saveing wear on my front end.

Ggg got it right. That's just about exactly how my jeep is handling with the new detroit in the rear. I don't mind the tires chirping every now and then but what I don't like is when I'm pulling out and turning and the locker unlock's while under throttle and theres a loud ''BANG'' and then a hard jerk. It just seem's that something going to break and I not used to that!

Ggg got it right. That's just about exactly how my jeep is handling with the new detroit in the rear. I don't mind the tires chirping every now and then but what I don't like is when I'm pulling out and turning and the locker unlock's while under throttle and theres a loud ''BANG'' and then a hard jerk. It just seem's that something going to break and I not used to that!
It's even worse in many coil spring jeeps, especially TJ's with the short-arm setup. The unexpected lane changes from being on or off the throttle is downright unnerving.

Glad to see some people here can relate to my quirky locker issues.
IMO for a DD or mild off road the Detroit true trac is the best LSD to have. If you need a locker then the Detroit locker is my choice.
The True trac still makes some noise, but not as much as a Detroit locker and not nearly as much as a lunch box locker. It is smoother acting with a lot less of the quirky locker issues. As long as you do not have a wheel in the air it works good.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that in my application, I have selectable hubs so steering wise was never an issue for me. I ran welded axle in my D30, but again, I retained the pass. disconnect. once I wen tto tj shafts my jeep was already on a trailer and off the road.

I have selectable hubs too. All the above symptoms happen in 2wd with the hubs unlocked, thats how much just a rear Detroit locker can affect the handling.

I have selectable hubs too. All the above symptoms happen in 2wd with the hubs unlocked, thats how much just a rear Detroit locker can affect the handling.
Intersting, I have never had the feedback you are describing ever in my jeep, also had a detriot in the CUCV axles in my 84 k30, and then when those axles were swapped into my K5 still never had issue. I'll even go as far as mentioning that when driving a short wheelbase road course SCCA camaro with a spool and I did not have what you are describing. I am wondering if there is a diameter difference in your tires whether it is from tire pressure or differences in batch manufacturing?

Well all I can say is big_o_tom and Bounty Hunter seem to be familiar with the symptoms I experience so I'm not alone.
IMO the severity of the above symptoms are certainly worse the shorter the wheelbase, and lighter weight the vehicle.
As far as the tires, I have 4 sets of tires for the TJ and the effects remain about the same between the sets. The tires range in sizes; 265/75/R16 BFG Rugged Trail, 37/12.5/R16 Super swamper SSR (siped), 38.5/14.5/R17 Truxxus M/T, and lastly 41/14.5/R16 Iroks, with no change in effects between the tire sets, other than to say the Rugged trail tires seem to have the least issues most likely due to having the smallest contact patch. All the big tires are %80 tread or better, and fairly soft compound tires.
As far as your vehicles, I do not wish to make any assumptions.
I would like to comment on the comparison of road racing with a spool. It has no merit for a few reasons but the biggest is a spool does not lock and unlock, which is why it does not react like a Detroit locker. You always have a rigid axle and consistent initial understeer condition (push) and a predictable oversteer once you start to get the inside tire to spin in the corner and the rear of the car gets loose. It is for this very reason (tire spin in the corner) spools are not usually used in road racing competition. They really hurt lap times due to low corner speeds.

Last edited:

No true, you are correct and I didn't think of that till you mentioned it, I am more than farmiliar with how a spool works versus detriot. As for the use of a spool in a SCCA vehicle it was a budget shop car; with the exception of safety and mandated equipment, it was pretty much how little could be invested to get racing. To add it was not a true spool, it was really just welded gears (essentially the same thing)

I got a ? about the detroit unlocking. When does it unlock, and should I be able to hear it? Seems like I can never hear it unlock, but I can alway's hear the tires scratching the pavement during turn's

It depends on a few factors. Tire traction, condition of the locker, how much power being applied. There are times when mine will release and I do not hear it, and there are times when it releases with a bang.

Back