Colorado Trail suggestions

90Xjay

RE: PLEASE HELP!

Well I just booked our family vacation for later in September.
We will be staying in Durango for a few days, taking day trips to Silverton and Mesa Verde. We are renting a Jeep and going to make the Alpine Loop. Then its off to Pagosa Springs in a secluded cabin by the river for a couple of nights. I am so pumped.

Do any of you have trail suggestions for the Durango/Silverton area?
I was told there is an on 1800's trail that runs into Silveron.
I am looking forward to being on Engineer pass at 12,000 feet!!!

RE: bent driveshaft + highway driving = bye bye transfer cas

traildamage.com

Not too close to Durango, but there's a town called Tincup somewhere in the central rockies, more of a ghost town than anything. My brother and I were there in '92 or so. It's up above 13,000 and there's a 4x4 trail leading up the side of the mountain from there. I can still remember hearing the rocks banging undersides and gearboxes whining as the Jeeps and trucks drove off into the fog. We were in my brother's Corsica, so we didn't make the ride.

RE: steering shaft u-joints

traildamage.com kicks butt.
Good site!

I don't know how much time we will have in the Alpine Loop area, but I want to go and check out some of the old western movie sets.

John Wayne's True Grit, Rooster Cogburn and The Cowboys were filmed around Ouray and Rigdway.

I won't be able to go wheeling in NM, but I will be going through Farmington. I'd forgotten all that rock crawling was there.

RE: steering shaft u-joints

Ouray can be scary. There are some drop offs and tight roads there. And not the type of drops that a seatbelt would help you with. The "we're dead" kind of deals. Becareful up there.

new to jeeps

When I win the lottery, I'm buying a house in Ouray. I absolutely fell in love with that area a few years ago when Sunshine and I took a roadtrip through there. I never knew she could sit so close to me in a car with a console until I drove like a madman around those tight curves with the "we're dead" drop-offs! :lol: She still hasn't forgiven me for that.

We drove through in late October, just when all the aspens were in their full glory, and there was even snow in the higher elevations on the pines when we got above Ouray. Fantastic scenery, a trip I'll never forget.

RE: Tough one

it's like what you expect Sweden to be like..eh? It is beautiful. Even some of the architecture is similar, but still very old west.

image-missing.png

pix1-6.jpg

image-missing.png

I think this one is a webcam, let's see if it changes:
image-missing.png

Yeah, we will stick to the moderate stuff. The rig will be rented so I don't want ANY trail damage :eek: :eek:

I might buy the optional $10 tire and glass damage insurance though.....

Back