Coil spacers... some advice??

Snitty

I have a friend who just bought a grand cherokee... he wants to put it up a few inches... i'm no coil spring man, so i don't really know whats up... i know coil spacers are easy and effective, but what are the limitations of them? He wants to lift about 2-3 inches... are aftermarket spacers stackable with the stock retainers? are stock retainers stackable to gain height? are there any drawbacks to this....

another thing... expect him to be joining us soon... i told him all about this great site and he seems interested in becoming one of us[addsig]

The stock spring isolators are stackable (.75" rubber spacer) and can be used with the budget boost coil spacers. This type of lift is a great option, and has few limits. It keeps the need for other modifications down, like a SYE and drop pitman arm. May even be able to reuse stock sway bar links and track bar mounts.

Most coil spacers are actually 1.75" even though advertised as 2". I'd get 4 extra spring isolators from the stealership for an even 2.5" lift all the way around. No need to drop a ton on shocks, $15 cheapies a little longer that stock, from the local auto parts store will do just fine.[addsig]

how many stock isolators can be stacked?... the junk yard should be a good way to go[addsig]

Good to here that Bounty because I was thinking about
that for my 2002 TJ and I wasn't all in all up on the lingo
on the ends and outs.....so you would get longer shocks... :-? [addsig]

You can get by with stock shocks onroad, but want to get longer shocks if you plan on venturing offroad.

Don't know how many stock isolators you can stack, probably as many as will fit on the center support (bumpstop) that centers the spacers. I wouldn't go over 3" total spacer, high risk of death wobble unless adjustible LCA's are installed.[addsig]

Thankyou for the highly informative information
now I can figure out what I am going to do...... :-D [addsig]

The fact is that the 2" spacer measures 1-3/4" and the 1" measures 3/4", The way that you put them in is to leave the stock Isolator in the top.
You can only leave the one factory one in. In the rear you can run the stock isolator and one 2" spacer. this will take you to the limit of safety. Anymore and your spring will not be contained to the purch anymore. In the front you can run the Isolator one 2" spacer and one 1" spacer. If running this to the max like this you will need to at least change your front shocks. I would recommend changing both front and rear. There is a few spacer and shock kit available on the market. I have also done this and ran with quick disconnects. You can run a 32" tire without rubbing with the swaybar disconnected. I ran my tj for a year like this. Hope this helps

[addsig]

Back