CJ7 Overheating Question

OneBlackTruck

Hi,
I am relatively new here and have a problem...
Stock 83 CJ7, 258, radiator cap on the drivers side. I have been problems with the stock gauge reading "H". Since I have replaced the water pump, thermostat(checked to see if worked before), Hoses (lower with a spring), Temp gauge sending unit. I have "bleeded" the system according to some other peoples advice from another board.

Yesterday I took it out to see if my last work changed anything...After bleeding the air from the system for about 20 minutes in the driveway, i took it around the block for maybe 20 minutes...The gauge barely moved off of "C". Can back home, parked it changed for work, went out to the jeep and turned on the iginition and the gaugue was all of the way over on "H"..

Why is it only reading H after i park it and then turn the ignition back on??

Thanks for the help, I really need it![addsig]

Well, when you have your engine on, the fan is working to cool the engine down. After you turn off your engine, heat will build up a bit, but then go down eventually. I really don't think the temperature should rise much, especially not to HIGH. There may be something wrong.-al[addsig]

Do you feel the gauge is telling the truth. It is either telling the truth abd tiy have a big problem or it is not and you have a small one. Let us hope it is a lier. If it is you have a bad sender, gauge or wire between the two. If not you may have a thermostat, radiator, water pump, ect... I know they are new but a many of bad parts come straight off the shelves. Good luck in your search. tug[addsig]

No offense, but I was hoping for a little more technical help, not just the same information I already stated. Bu thank you for your time.
:-? [addsig]

One Black Truck,,,,

They may have not had the Exact answer you
seek, but they were trying to let you know they
had read your post,,, and keep it ACTIVE up top
so the one who does have the answer will find you
later... I have ONe Black Truck too, nice to have
you,,, now

thermostat(checked to see if worked BEFORE), QUOTE
cheap part, it may not work NOW.

Always upgrade while you have her apart if you can/
Why not? Hotter Thermastat? more flow, lower engine temp.

BUT ,,, It is probally the gauge, our Jeeps are notoriuos for
gauges that only read in Jeep speak... Hot means normal,
full tank means half empty, etc..

I think you answered your own question good Jeeper..

1. thermostat (checked to see if worked before),
check it NOW. Don't trust 'before'.

2. Trust the Feel, Smell, and SOUND of your RIg.
more than gauges... IF IT's reading HOT,,, Does
it drive, smell like it?

Only my 2 cents,,,
You need 98 more, to make a dollar.

I hope you find a C note here at Jeepz.com...
All we promise, is to try.. Ya gotta remember
brother, you are the one standing next to your
rig, I don't even know if it is TRULY overheating,
or if it's simply another CJ Gauge. :cool: [addsig]

USMPK9,

Thanks for your comments, and I appreciate the fact that people respond. Like you said, it helps to keep it current.

When I said tstat (checked it before), I meant that it is a new thermostat, and that i checked to see if it was functioning properly before i installed it, which it was. I have only run the jeep once since the install.

I guess I will go and install an aftermarket gauge to get a good reading.

Thanks for the repsones!...and keep 'em coming![addsig]

Back