Cat back reccomendations? Rustys? Dynomax?

jrotten

Hey guys, trying to open up my 4.0's exhaust and intake some and let my cam work right. Summit racing has Dynomax Super Turbo cat back set up for only 86 bucks. Hella deal compared to Borla price$. Rusty has his cat back set up for 139, but uses Dynomax Ultraflow's or Flowmasters (your choice). The Ulta Flow flows WAY more than the Super Turbo muffler AND the Flowmaster accoding to the Dynomax web site. I was wondering about the noise. Anybody running a Ultraflow? Probably gut the cat to since it barely passed emmisions last time anyway. I will be complementing the exhaust with a K&N cone filter and home made intake pipe. Might upgrade the injectors slightly later and have the Renix TB bored out. This is my first 4.0 buildup and advice is greatly appreciated. Its not an HO motor, so I am handicapped by that to begin with.[addsig]

do you have the orig. ? if so knock the stuffing out of it that way theres nothing slowing down th flow it gives a bit more bass to the sound :evil: [addsig]

yo ive got the 4.0 and i was under the impression they were all HO but im not sure, anyways i took my cat out and put in a test pipe, and its been a PAIN. ive had incredible problems sealin it all up and with fumes and such. i would reccomend NOT removing or hollowing out the cat. as far as the mufflers go, i think its matter of opinion, cause ive heard that the dynomax sucks compared to flowmaster and vice versa, so id just call an exhaust place and see waht they thought, if you have it done professionally usually they have test mufflers that they will slide on for you so you can hear the difference between the 2, just a thought. let me know how that exhaust thing works as im im lookin for a new one with a cat and try to get things back to normal.[addsig]

high output 4.0's were introduced in '92. before that they weren't high output. high output has i think about 15 more ponies.[addsig]

As far as the mufflers go, I have sold a lot of both. More times than not, I never hear anything back from the customers that buy the dynomax systems. The customers that buy the flowmasters always come back and thank me later. Our company also handles borla, but no one ever seems to want to pay the price. Another thing to look at is which series flowmaster muffler is going to come in the kit. My recomendation would be a 40 series because it sounds deep and aggressive, but not so loud that the cops are gonna pull ya over for it.

Hope that helps.[addsig]

i have a flowmaster 40 series on my 97 cherokee with the 4.0 HO. it sounds great and supposedly gives a few extra horses (although i wouldn't say its real noticeable). i'd definitely recommend it... just take your jeep down to your local exhaust place and they'll take your old one off and put a new flow on for about 120 bucks or so. you said also that you were putting a K&N cone filter on... good choice. that will definitely<--- give you noticeable increases in power (well atleast it does on the HO engine). [addsig]

after my very bad cat removal episode, i called my exhaust place and they gave me a quote for 228, thats putting my old cat back on, and replacing all piping from it back with larger piping as well as adding a magnaflow muffler. the guy i talked with said hed done several cherokees before and he liked the magnaflow better on the I-6 rather than the flowmaster. so tahts what im going with i guess. im gonna ask him to let me hear each on it tho. im gettin it done saturday when i get paid. ill let you know how hit turns out.[addsig]

I'll vouch for Rusty's Offroad cat-back, I've got one with the Flowmaster 50 DeltaFlow. Great product for the best price going :-O [addsig]

hey i just got my exhaust put on today. 168 at the local shop, that was for re installing the removed cat and replacing all the piping back and putting a magnaflow performance muffler on. it sounds pretty nice, much like the sound of the test pipe, only a lot cleaner and more tuned.[addsig]

I had the Dynomax system on my '88 that I got from Summit. It's 2.5" I believe, not real loud but does allow your 4.0 to talk to you a little. It was an easy, quick install and the price was nice! As for the convertor, if you're worried about emissions don't gut it. You can buy one from Salvo for $89.99. I replaced everything from the manifold back including all the hangers & down-pipe for about $200 this summer b/c I had to run it through emissions & with 180K miles it went through with better readings then most cars w/ 80K miles![addsig]

I am running a cheapy glaspack but plan to upgrade to a Flowmaster asasp. Just to dang loud for me I am getting old I guess. But the thing does sound sweet. Tug :-D [addsig]

I got the Rusty's cat-back with the Flowmaster. When I ordered it, I talked to Rusty himself and he happened to have two Jeeps in his garage one with the Dynomax and one with the Flowmaster. He took the phone with him to the garage and let me listen to the two jeeps. I thought that the Flowmaster had a deeper and throatier roar. The Dynomax was far louder than the Flowmaster and it sounded like a tin can filled with gravel...I got the Flowmaster...
Ed
web/gadget guru

Back