Career Change 2: Radiologic Technology

mingez

Okay y'all,

As some of you may recall, I was looking into a career change.

I've chosen Radiologic Technology and have applied to several schools all across Northern California, Colorado, and New Mexico. Eventually, I want to cross train in Ultrasound or Nuclear Medicine.

Next month I'm heading up to Denver for an interview and an advising session with 2 schools in the same month! There are about 300 applicants biding for only 30 spots in one program. The other has only 22 spots. Chances are REAL good I may end up on a waiting list even if I rock.

I'm anxious and hopeful! If any of you Medical Pros or former Med Pros have any advice, hook a brotha up!

Wish me luck!

Mingez

RE: which transmission

Best of luck and hope it all works out for you!

You may want to check into the KU Med Center in Wichita, or Wichita State University, or Friends University, or Neuman University here in Wichita. They have exceptional programs for Radiology, and aren't too pricey. Sure, there's not a lot of wheeling spots nearby, but with you classload, you won't have time!

Side note: Several years ago, they changed the name from Friends University of Central Kansas to Friends University for monogram purposes......

Best of luck to you, I hope it all works out well... Let us know...

side note:

My buddy's dad was in Las Cruces last week, looking for rocks. Small world...

ultrasound tech... glad you picked a easy field! Good luck, In my profession I have to occasionally look at them and after years of doing it I still have no clue half the time what is what!

Hey, you should go to a school in N. California.....then we can go wheeling sometime :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I hope you get into a real good school and all works out well for ya :wink:

RE: Take A Wild Guess...

88Wrangles said:
Hey, you should go to a school in N. California.....then we can go wheeling sometime :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I hope you get into a real good school and all works out well for ya :wink:

Funny thing is, I did take into consideration whether or not any Jeepz peepz lived near by. Wheeling, reguardless of how much time I'll have plays a role. :wink:

1975 CJ5 frame & Diffs $375 neg SOLD ! 3/30

Lots of good Schools here in Baltimore. Johns Hopkins University and University of Maryland at Baltimore are two of the best in the medical field.

RE: Who

You'll do great! They used to just look at all the science guys but in the past few years they have finally figured out that medicine is about people so now they are looking more closely at temperment and personality.
Here's what I tell the therapists who work for me- You have to strive for excellence in all aspects. Because, if you are a technically excellant therapist, but have the personality of a slug, you won't inspire confidence in your patients and they won't trust you and they won't get better. If you are a loving compassionate person, but don't know the therapy aspect, then you will be a really good friend, but they won't get better, because you don't know what to do to help them. Anyone who goes into any area of medicine has to excellent in both areas- it's mandatory- lives are on the line.
If I was going through something catastrophic, I'd want you in my corner.

I appreciate it Mrs. Mud and good advice about having balance in such a career!

For now I'm going to get my RT cert. Then, I'm looking at modalities, perhaps Nuc Med or Radiation Therapy. I've gotten a lot of feedback from my friends in the industry and on a Radiology BB to stay in imaging, and while I plan on persuing other modalities such as CT, I think later I want to branch out into Therapy.

I did a job shadow with a Rad Tech, and that alone was so interesting, fun, exciting and amazing! CT, MRI, Sonography, are all great ways to move "UP" so to speak. I'll see what I want to do after I graduate. I was telling the RT that I'd have paid to witness her day!! I saw a guy with his hand split open, he was an iron worker. The "Yuck Factor" doesn't bother me at all. And the stories she had, OMG! I was really pumped at the end of the day. And she, like almost EVERY RT I've spoken to, loves her job.

I think IMO what I have going for me, is a reasonable grasp of science, but a passion to get a chance to help people. That's the most important thing, and I can't wait to get to it!

RE: Yippie. I got a new job.

Just tell the interviewer you own a Jeep. Then you will be a shoe in. End of interview.

RE: Re: RE: Paragon April 16th and 17th

Make sure you wear the lead apron...

mingez said:
I appreciate it Mrs. Mud and good advice about having balance in such a career!

For now I'm going to get my RT cert. Then, I'm looking at modalities, perhaps Nuc Med or Radiation Therapy. I've gotten a lot of feedback from my friends in the industry and on a Radiology BB to stay in imaging, and while I plan on persuing other modalities such as CT, I think later I want to branch out into Therapy.

I did a job shadow with a Rad Tech, and that alone was so interesting, fun, exciting and amazing! CT, MRI, Sonography, are all great ways to move "UP" so to speak. I'll see what I want to do after I graduate. I was telling the RT that I'd have paid to witness her day!! I saw a guy with his hand split open, he was an iron worker. The "Yuck Factor" doesn't bother me at all. And the stories she had, OMG! I was really pumped at the end of the day. And she, like almost EVERY RT I've spoken to, loves her job.

I think IMO what I have going for me, is a reasonable grasp of science, but a passion to get a chance to help people. That's the most important thing, and I can't wait to get to it!

I would have LOVED to go to medical school. But the "yuck factor" is bad for me. I dont even like watching the docs stick a needle in me. There is no way i could do surgery or touch gross stuff.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Who

Thanks folks for all of the "Well wishes" and "Good lucks!" I'll need it.

I'm excited about the ride!

Back