Can I swap an emmission controlled steppermoter carter bbd f

183renegade

I have an 83 cj7 with a carter bbd carb that is emmission controlled with what i am told is a stepper mottor that adjusts the fuel mixture to make the jeep more envornmentally friendly. Since i plan to use the jeep for off road purposes only, is there a nonemission controlled carberator that i could replace this carb with. If there is an alternative to this carb, what choices do i have. Can I use an earllier model BBD or is there a better alternative. Will i have to modify the ignition system or timing. The carb i have now runs great at cruising speeds, sometimes idles fine, other times idles fast, but can idle extremly rough or not at all any moment, especially if i get on the gas. What execatly is this stepper moter carb and how can i get rid of it.[*]null[addsig]

Many install a Ford Motorcraft carb with great performance, it's the 2500 or 2550 or something like that. Weber also makes a carb that is often used.[addsig]

As long as you don't live in California you might be able to. But if you need to smog it, good luck.
[addsig]

You can replace it with a weber carb. It will replace alot of the emission hoses. It comes in a kit all you have to do is bolt it on hook up the throttle linkage and adjust it. It comes with an 800 number if you need help.[addsig]

A Ford carb on a jeep, now that sounds iteresting. Do you know were I could find more info on this swap. Also Ive seen ads for 4bbl holleys. How does running a holley compare to a webber.[addsig]

I have used the motorcraft carbs before..work pretty good if they are set up right.. but the best choice would most likely be the weber carb...VERY tunable...be sure to use a fuel pressure regulator...webers dont like a whole lot of fuel pressure...3-3.5#

Dawg[addsig]

Back