Calico 4/30/05 - 5/1/05

Sully

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: oil drain plug

My jeep didnt make it out to calico because I didnt finish it in time. :? :( Still had lot lots of fun. Drove up on friday with my dad in his TJ, my bro drove up the next day. I just took a bunch of pics and did a lil' bit of the driving.

Some teasers
DSC01186-4.jpg
:roll:

30fa50ff-4.jpg

DSC01249-4.jpg

DSC01305-4.jpg

I am beat and will post the full report with pictures later.

Edit: Only video I recorded

http://planetminis.com/modules/gallery/albums/album581/MVC_436W.mpg

Nice pictures!!

The white one is your dad's Jeep, right? It's soooooo clean looking!!!!

RE: Mom takes kids for first swim of 2005!

Great pics Sully. Too bad the brown trout couldn't make it

JK on the BT comment ;)

I always like looking at the wheeling pics you post Sully. Good stuff.

RE: off road today

Bad news for the guy in the vids body. Nice pictures sully, can't wait to see some more.

This all started friday. Packed up the jeep with camping gear, tools, and a full tank of gas. We met up with a friend of mine in town, then we hit the freeway for a few hours. The day started to get dark and the jeeps started to slow as we hit traffic. :?
MVC419S-4.jpg
Picked different lanes to see who's lane would move better.
MVC418S-4.jpg

MVC422S-4.jpg

We passed each other a few times and when that game got boring. We decided to chat over the cb. Traffic opened up after an hour of a little over crawling speeds. Climbed up over the mountains and ended up cruising comfortably at 80 on a highway in the desert. :) I like that.

We pulled in late friday night. Found our group(MJR). Ran around like a bunch of idiots pitching our tent in the headlights of our jeep. Then we just slept like little baby's. More jeeps arrived in the morning including my brother.
MVC425S-4.jpg

At the start of the trail. There is a section called dorans entrance. Basically, its a bunch of big rocks with a big hole in the middle that will swallow rigs that dont hit it just right. First up is our buddy in his Tj. He was locked up with arb's. Crawls up pretty good.
MVC432S-4.jpg

MVC431S-4.jpg

Has to back up a few times to get his rear tire to climb out. He gets through with no damage. Next jeep is a Zj.
MVC438S-4.jpg

Now I thought this was going to be a problem. He had the stock dana 35 with a detroit and 33's. Hmmm, sounds like this could get interesting really fast. :lol:
Some carefully placed rocks, good spotting, and lots of tire spinning. He makes it up to the most difficult part.
MVC440S-3.jpg

This is where it gets fun, for both spectators and te driver. He goes at it a few times until his sidewalls finally catch and pull him up. Trys to crawl the rest of the way but no go, just spinning tires. He gets on it and just drops into the hole. On the way down the rocks grabbed his front right fender. Stopping him from going all the way into the hole.
MVC442S-4.jpg

MVC443S-4.jpg

MVC444S-4.jpg

Just a little body damage nothing more. Examined the damage then finished the entrance. My dad decided to give it a whirl. He got up the first part alright. Gets to the hard part. This is where I get out and start snapping pics. Plus my seat belt locked up. And there aint no way I am riding up like that. Before I got out I told him that I wouldnt use the thumb throttle on this section and just rely on the gearing to pull you up, avoid winding up the motor if you dont make it. And just have fun. He sets the thumb throttle, motor begins to stall, and he gives it some gas. :roll: Then when he starts climbing over he lets off but the thrumb throttle keeps the rpm's up and keeps him going. He bounces around long enough to get sideways on the entrance.
DSC01185-3.jpg

DSC01188-3.jpg

DSC01192-3.jpg

DSC01194-3.jpg

Winch from the front and the back and guys on the right side with straps on the roll bar.
DSC01196-3.jpg

DSC01198-3.jpg

Front winch pulls him around enough for him to back down. Unhook the winch and he begins backing down. Slides off the rock and crunches his rear corner panel.
DSC01193-4.jpg

DSC01203-3.jpg

Now that he is on the right line he goes up and finishes the entrance.
DSC01195-3.jpg

DSC01219-3.jpg

Next representing the jeep girls in her Red Tj and lockers.
She makes it up the first part good.
DSC01228-3.jpg

DSC01230-3.jpg

Hit the hard part and gets sucked into the hole. Sideways!
DSC01238-3.jpg

After winching, pushing, and some more manuevering she is free and climbs out. Sorry, I didnt get pics of her sideways.

The rest of the trail is rocky with shelves and lose rocks everywhere. We had about 15 or 20 jeeps. Big group if you ask me. Everyone is doing fine except for a few parts where some hang up their diffs and drag rocks. Came to this shelf and our stocker in the group decided to turn back. Everyone gets over this shelf pretty easily except for one rubicon that had a little trouble and needed a quich tug.
DSC01242-3.jpg

DSC01254-4.jpg

Then we see some idiots driving all over this one hillside in their bronco's ad land cruisers. TREAD LIGHTY!
DSC01256-3.jpg

We left those guys behind and ate lunch at some mines. Came down into oddessa canyon.
DSC01265-3.jpg

DSC01300-3.jpg

DSC01289-3.jpg

Everyone did fine in here too. Except chris who always gets stuck. Not because he is a bad driver or his jeep isnt prepaired. He just drives over things that you really shouldnt. :lol: He suposedly cracked his bell housing, but nothing leaked. Must be empty I thought. 8)
DSC01399-3.jpg

DSC01406-3.jpg

DSC01407-3.jpg

Finished the rest of the trail and just kicked back around the fire late at night. Went to sleep, packed the jeep, and cruised home much faster than when we drove up. jeep drove straight as an arrow which was suprising after what we did with it.

All in all this trip was alot of fun. I got to meet alot of really cool people, see some nice body damage and random trail carnage, plus I got to get some driving in. This is all just more encouragement to finish my jeep. The sooner the better, I can't wait much longer!

Spring Comparison

bud, those are AMAZING - love em
looks like a blast :D

As always, great pics Sully, and a great report, too. Looks like some really gnarly country. Hope you didn't razz your dad too bad.

RE: Re: RE: Now my TJ

Great pics!! Even better damage!

Sully........ as a pretty green jeeper here, WOW!
Those are some inspiring shots!!
My heartbeat is going just from looking at them, makes me want to piss away every paycheck for the next 3 months to build my TJ up to the level to play like that!!

And that shot of the campsite........ LIFE IS GOOD!

Thanks for the inspiration to us rookies!

They are right, you always deliver with some good pics of some great looking excursions. Nice stuff bud.

RE: 4wd lever issues

That looks mad crazy fun, but I have to say, I would be a very unhappy man if my Jeep got smashied on a rock... I like the mud for that, for the most part, it's soft and yielding... To each their own, I suppose, though, I would love to drive out into the middle of nowhere and do something like that... My friends keep telling me about this spot in the UP, near Lake Superior, gonna have to get up there :)

Great pics, great fun, congrats :D

Back