Buying online Autos????

mingez

Okay, since I am considering purchasing a Wrangler online... a thought dawned on me: I've never done that before.

Have any of you done this? How did you securely exchange title for money? The person I'm buying from is unsure as well. Are there services that ensure safe transfer of said items?

BTW this is not an Ebay transaction.

we bought a montero on ebay motors, we gave them a down payment as well as a signed purchase agreement (i think it legally binds the sale, i bet you can just sign a sheet saying as soon as i recieve the title i will pay the rest, cause if you try to ditch they can sue you because you signed it, or something like that) then they overnighted us the keys and the title, and we paid the rest and the car came on a truck a week later. but thats through ebay so i wouldnt know how to do it for you.. i'd suggest an escrow service. i think they pretty much middle man it, for a small fee of course

It's all about the recycler. Pick one up and flip through it. They have some killer deals and they are right in town.

My uncle bought one of the new retro T-Birds through eBay and he used Escrow.com...said it was totally painless and hassle-free!

Sooooo what you are all saying is : I should use Escrow.com? Heehehehehe

TC, I'd trust you. You'd take care of your favorite leftist bastard.

Hey, Mingez, please let us know how this all works out. I'm constantly checkin' eBay for old Willys trucks and I'm just curious how well the on-line-vehicle-buying thing works. Got my eye on one here locally, but if I can find one online that needs a little less work.................??? Keep us posted.

mud

Yeah, we are going to try the Escrow.com thing. Thanks everyone for suggesting that. He's as nervous as I am, but I think we have it worked out.

Here's what he suggested after I suggested the escrow.com thing:

Ian,

I did a search for feedback on escrow.com and it seems like a legitimate way to go. But from the feedback I’ve read, it’s geared more toward the buyer than the seller. The seller sees no money until the buyer releases it, which sounds fair, but you will have my Jeep and I will have nothing (other than a pit in my stomach hoping the Jeep made it safely and to your satisfaction).

How about this:

Send me a deposit in good faith ($500 maybe?).
I will send you the title (signed over to you by me) as well as Bill of Sale.
Send, email, or fax me a copy of the title (signed by you) and a signed copy of the Bill of Sale.
Make the payment to Escrow dot com for the balance ($3600)
Make arrangements for the delivery (Pre-paid by you).
According to Escrow.com’s policy, when you receive the jeep, release the balance of the payment to me.

The fee from Escrow.com for a payment of $3600 is $117. I’ll split that with you so you can send me a deposit of $441.50 instead of $500 if you like.

Sounds like a smart way to go. I would have saved the money and had White drive it out there if he was serious. SO what if it would have showed up muddy :lol:

mud.. def. dont worry about buying an auto online. as long as you shop smart and pick a good one, the titling and payment arent a prob. at all. great way to get a deal

TwistedCopper said:
Sounds like a smart way to go. I would have saved the money and had White drive it out there if he was serious. SO what if it would have showed up muddy :lol:

Yeah, but if you weight it all out...it's going to cost about 800 bucks. That's all. Gas would cut into that significantly, and don't forget wear and tear, miles, and White's time and safety.
And he WAS serious. :shock: not many people out there would offer such a thing.

<-------was serious.

Seems like a fair deal. Maybe have full insurance on it for the ride out there. Incase the truck flips over ( I bet they carry insurance for that anyway)
But then again , If it flips - 2 checks instead of one. :)

and White's time and safety.
And he WAS serious.

White, you are THE man, regardless how you were portrayed by Sully. I'm with Mingez - it's unbelievable how great y'all are!

Back