Backfire while in gear

Skulljeep683

Okay, so when im at idle or at a standstill in my drive i can run the motor and it runs great, the moment i put it into gear and make my way down the street the jeep backfires and the check engine light will sometimes flicker, after the backfire and i come to a stop the rpms will sit at 2000 until i come to a dead halt, then they drop, when it backfires out the intake, it will do a whole 1000 rpm drop and then quickly go back up, even my speedometer drops, and sometimes the check guages light will turn on, it has several mods to it, but it didnt start happening until i put gas in one day and now its been going on for several months, sometimes i can run it and it will never happen, but now its a current problem. ive replaced the following sensors: upstream oxygen sensor, intake air temp, tps, mass air flow. im running these current mods: k&n intake, 4.0 tb, poweraid spacer, pacesetter longtube header, flowmaster 40 series, axle dumps, jet advanced timing chip, 180* thermostat, new injectors, sport clutch. It runs on premium according to the chips requirements, so everything was done by the book. The motor has roughly 8k on it, and so does the clutch. Its a 2.5L 4 cylinder in a 2000 jeep wrangler with 4x4 as always. ANY input would be appreciated, thanks all, happy wheeling.

Just a thought but I have a 97 2.5l...I had similar problems. Just like you said started out to be every once in awhile to cant drive it...I found a short in the wiring on my crankshaft sensor...replaced the sensor and now it runs great with no problems...in trying to find the problem I also replaced all the sensors you did...stupid crankshaft sensor.lol...hope this helps...good luck.

OMG THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!! just got the funds together and now its running like new! thank you for the hint! happy wheeling!!!!

Back