Asking for modification advice

Jylanthas

My jeep vs. his soccer mom buggy

Ok, graduation is over and I have a couple hundred dollars to work with. I realize that lifting and getting big tires are require a lot of cash and/or work. I have a 1999 cherokee sport in very newish condition and i want to know what anyone with experience suggests for me to do. Whether it is fender flares and rocker bars for look or cold air intake and other engine mods for performance I just need some suggestions. I have heard a lot about differenent kinds of engine mods such as cold air, performance exhausts and throttle body spacers etc and am just wondering if they will even do anything worth money to my vehicle. Keep in mind that I am not looking for a race car (duh it's a jeep) and am not looking for a monster truck for off-roading. I want something in between that does not look out of place on the road because i will have to drive this thing long distances while at college. Thank you.

Welcome! Personally, I don't like to waste my money on "look good" goodies until I have a few performance issues taken care of. I'm a big fan of aftermarket intake, air cleaner and exhausts. Those few mods have always helped to get a few more MPG. And if you're not going to be wheeling much for a while I'd forget about bigger tires and lift kits for now. All that does is drop your MPG and being a student means you probably don't have that much extra $$$ lying around to pay for gas and such. Drive it as is for a while to get better aquainted with how it handles and that way you'll have a much better idea of what you'd like to do to it in the future. I wheeled my TJ for 3 years before I finally replaced the stock 29" tires and put on the suspension lift. By then I knew what I could and couldn't do on the trails. Now, all my favorite trails are pretty much a cake walk and I feel way more comfortable and better equiped to handle the tougher ones. That's just my opinion.

RE: Feed Lindsay Lohan

What do you want to be able to do with your Jeep? In other words, what would you like it to do or do better?

If you plan on taking it offroad then I would suggest putting the $ into recovery points and a strap or two. Maybe if there is enough left over get a Hi-Lift jack. If you have a rear hitch then you are half way there, just get a shackle mount for it ($20?). The front can be done with a receiver hitch also ( http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model=Cherokee&category=fmr&year=2000&make=Jeep&t1=&h=e )or a set of factory style tow hooks ( http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...stys&Product_Code=XJ-TH&Category_Code=rec_hit ) .

BTW welcome to Jeepz!

First off, welcome to the "Z"!!!! TC gives some good advice - cheap mods that are/will be necessary. You need to take 'er out and get 'er stuck a couple times before you start to realize her/your capabilites. And when you're stuck, those tow points and straps are very, very handy (and the tow hooks look cool, too!). With the Hi-Lift, you can get yourself out.....might take a little while, but there's a reason they call it the "poor man's winch". And, BTW, it looks pretty cool, too, if you're worried about that. Have fun and explore!!!!! These vehicles are truly amazing.

Stuck a bunch,
mud

I go for some clear turn signal lenses and a big "No Fear" sticker for the front window.

J/K

yj is overheating again!!!

FART CAN!!!!!!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And a BIG WING on the back!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, though, welcome to the "Z", and pay attention to what has been said previously. Mods don't mean squat if you don't use them, and they're even less useful if you don't have them to use. Recovery points, a little something here and there to improve mileage and HP (even though not much will be gained, I'm glad to be making 22-23mpg over the initial 14mpg since gas prices have climbed back over $2.30 a gallon), perhaps even a couple of creature comforts such as seat covers, stereo, and even a nice air freshener can brighten your day. Wait till you decide how much you'll be using the vehicle for off-road driving versus on-road before you spend the bucks on tires and suspension. Get a feel for the handling (as others have mentioned), get used to off-roading it stock to learn it's quirks. I went from a Toyota 4WD to a YJ Wrangler, and almost had to learn to wheel again because of the shorter wheel base and tighter turning radius. Now I'm comfortable enough with it that when conditions are right, I can drive it sideways for half a mile on dirt roads by feathering the throttle and working the steering, or I can fishtail it back and forth on a narrow two-track for half a mile, getting completely crossed up sideways before slinging it back sideways the other direction, and spin it to a 180 halt in the dead center of the road on command.

Swerve-1.jpg

I live in one of the flattest parts of Kansas, though 10 miles in any direction will find hills worthy of climbing to provide some fun. I also live 10 miles from a lake that supplies some of the worst, slimiest, stickiest, most fun mud I have ever been in, so I've considered my mods based on a lot of mudding, a little hill climbing, and some obstacle-hopping. Don't have the lift yet, because I just haven't seen that as a priority based on where I live and what's available to wheel on/around/over.

Best piece of advice I can give you is to stick with us here on the "Z" and learn....there are many, many very talented people here, each of which can offer a unique view on nearly any subject that will help you form a more rounded decision on what is right for you. Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions, otherwise you won't learn.

Remember, Tread Lightly to preserve the reputation of responsible Jeepers.

Sparky, that looks like a lot of the roads around Central Illinois :D Flat as can be.

'NO FEAR' is out and "Git er Done' is in, come on ;)

Consider a budget boost if you want a moderate lift that'll give that XJ a stance I think they should have come from the factory with. Then you'll be ready for slightly larger tires when replacement time comes. The budget boost is generally 2" coil spacers in front and lift blocks or AAL's in the rear, running from $200 to $250 unless found used from somebody upgrading to a full spring kit.

RE: Are you normal? Take the test.

are them 2" coil spacers and 2" leaf blocks realy worth it. thay seem like a good idea to get some chunkier tires up underneeth.

RE: Popping noise when shifting

It's up to you if they're worth it, but they allow fitment of 235/75R15 or 30" tires and gives the jeep a better stance and more clearance. You can set it up even cheaper, by buying the coil spacers seperately and getting the 2" lift block kit from www.jcw.com for about $45. Then use the stock shocks until you can afford an upgrade to Doetsch-Tech 3000's at about $30 each.

RE: thx

i had 237/75/15s under my Jeep and had no clearence problems ever. even at full lock and full articulation. but 2 extra inches are always good. i knew i should have got that when i had the chance lol.

RE: thx

I've seen quite a few run 31's under a 2" BB, but I wouldn't go bigger than 30x9.50x15's. I'm sure most of the folks that try to run 31's under a 2" lift on an XJ live to regret it as soon as they hit a trail with a disconnected swaybar. I have 31's and get slight rubbing with around 4" of lift.

You'll still need recovery points though.

Back