Anyone ever heard of Champion winches?

Craig

The Costco near me is selling 8000 lb Champion winches for $349 Canadian. I know that a lot of major companies will mass produce products and slap other names on them. Mabye that's the case with the Champion....never heard of em. I'm thinking about picking one up....for that price, even if it lasts me a couple of years, I'm sure I'll get my money's worth. They are also supposed to be getting in a Champion 2000 lb winch which they're gonna sell for $69.
Here's what the winch comes with:
8000 lb winch
Universal 35" mounting plate
Fair lead roller
Snatch block
Hook
Remote
95 ft of 5/16" galv cable
and all the necessary hardware

Re: RE: Re: RE: My belated Christmas (pics)!

That's a good price with all the added goodies. I'm thinking it might be an Asian winch (mine's a "Duke" - never heard of it 'til I bought it) and everybody here's going to tell you to stay away from it. Mine's performed well so far (1 1/2 yrs.) but doesn't get a whole lot of use. If you're going to rock crawl a lot or do some serious wheelin' where you'll be winching ALOT, I'd say save your bucks and go with a Warn or a quality Ramsey. But, if you're like me.....tight wad, don't winch a whole lot just like the peace of mind of havin' one there if needed, I'd say go for it. Just my two bits. You may want to measure between your frame mounts......the "universal" mounting plate that came with mine was useless....too short. I bought a Warn mounting plate and, with a few slight mods, it's working quite well.

I don't think I'll be using it a whole lot. Usually if I'm stuck, a tow strap has always done the trick but I've run into a few situations where a winch was the only option. I'm gonna try and pick one up tomorrow if they still have any left.

Interesting, $298 at Sams Club - same winch - just posted the same question about 2 weeks ago and of course everyone says get a Warn. I say go for it and let everyone know how well it works for $200+ less than the warn. The mount plate looks really big - should fit no problem.

RE: I got stiffed...(Part Deux)

Rebuilding is a key point in a winch! Can you get parts or even rebuild it cause it will break and have problems? Just food for thought! tug

RE: Opinions on thread

Tug-n-pull said:
Rebuilding is a key point in a winch! Can you get parts or even rebuild it cause it will break and have problems? Just food for thought! tug

That IS a good point. Of course, for 281 one might not be so concerned. But I'll look into that.

RE: Re: RE: Girl doing jumping jacks

Thank goodness Warn winches are rebuildable and they've got great product support, as my 8274 was made in '76.

Back