Amc 360

Quadrajay

Hi,
My 85 CJ 360 four speed needs more low end tork and throttle response. I want to add an intake manifold and carb , cam and electronic ignition Can anyone suggest a good combination of aftermarket parts that will work well together? Thanks

Twenty people read this Thread and not one reply? Come on guys some of you must be running 360's. Thanks for any advise

holley programmable pro-jection, full MSD setup, ported and matched aluminum heads with 3 angle valve job plus a little trimming off the back side edges of the valves for better seating. So I guess thats 4 angle..? Anyways.. Dual plane intake should be fine, a pair of hooker shortys outside of frame rails with dual 3" side-pipes, deck the block a lil for some increased compression, as well as a stroker crank and cam. While your at it some roller rockers, a high flow water pump - preferably electric and thermostat regulated. Now that I think of it just junk the 360, and throw in the tried and true GM 350 - with the above hook ups. Itll be cheaper.

If you stick with the 360, the best budget performance is going to be from an intake and new carb...Holley Truck Avenger maybe. If you have the coin, a fuel injection kit would be the ticket. I would go with a kit from Affordable Fuel Injection or comparable company. I have heard a lot of complaints about the Holley Pro Jection system.
...and No, a Chevy motor will not bolt to your current transmission without using an adapter bellhousing from Advance Adapters. You still may come out cheaper to buy a used Chevy EFI engine and adapter bellhousing than trying to fuel inject the 360.

I've got a lumpy bump stick from crane, full roller, my machinist used some bbc valve train parts to help her breathe, edelbrock performer intake, holley 750, DUI ign,bored 0.40 over, jacobs wiring, factory dog-leg manifolds, cherry bomb true duals,true roller chain, 10.5 to 1 compression. Runs on premium pump, and smolders all four 38.5 boggers. Very distinct exhaust note. A SBC and th400 would have been cheaper, but I'm a "Jeep" man !

I run the holley projection with great results. As for low end torque stick to a exhaust no larger than 2 1/2". I have fenderwell headers with 3" 2 chamber flowmasters and they are great at higher rpm but not so good down low. A dual plane intake, msd 6al, and an aftermarket distubutor will help alot. I have a mallory unilite distibutor with the 6al and it has very good throttle response. Try adjusting your timing to get your engine to rev faster. If all else fails lighten your jeep with fiberglass.

Back