Airing down

cewtwo

Well, we took the Jeep on a blitz 4 day tour of the San Juans in Colorado. We did the Browns Pass/Breakneck Pass loop, the Hancock Pass/Tomichi Pass, Engineer Pass, Black Bear Pass, Ophir Pass, Tabeguache, Rim Road (outside Montrose), old highway 90 to Nucla, Reno Divide trail and Tincup Pass. It was a lot of fun. There is a reason that they are called the Rocky Mountains, however!
I am not sure that this should go here, but I understand now the need to air down. My next mod for the Jeep will be an air compressor. Don't worry - It will not be a Walmart $20 special - I am thinking ARB or ViAir.
My questions are 1 - How much should one air down? and, 2 - What additional equipment would be needed or desired? (Tools for airing down, compressor requirements, should the compressor be able to power air tools, etc...)

The Jeep is a '93 YJ, 6 cylinder, 3 1/2 chassis lift, & 33x12.5 BFG TA/KOs. Please let me know your opinions!

Well to answer some of your questions I just got back from a 5 day Moab trip and aired down my 35' MTR's to 18 pounds each. To air them down I used a tire deflator . I called goodyear and asked how low I could go so I knew that 12LBS was my lowest.
As to fill them up after the trail an ARB air pump doesnt have the CFM (cubic feet per minute) to air up my tires even with a extra large tank on the side. A local off road shop whould have a varity of compressors that you can hook through your battery or cigerett lighter that will do the job.
We have a Quick air system, that aired mine up in about 10 minutes ( please note this was also Union shop work and many times I had to stop and throw insults, beer break, smoke break, ect ect). The quick air 2 airs me up just as fast as the local circle jerk .25 cents compressors do. A tank on this system will help you and your trail buddies if on happens to break a bead while aired down you can re-seat the tire for them or even run air tools.
Or you can buy bead lock rims when going this low.

No spark????

I air down to between 15 and 18 psi and that does me good, i would like to go lower but the parentals insist ill blow a bead. My pal airs down his TJ to 10 psi fron and 12 psi rear, and has minimal problems. I wouls like to get some beadlocks though so that i can air down more

Back