Advantage of solid axel

mr2fyre

question about shocks

in another post someone stated that they hoped that they didn't go independant suspension on the redesign of the wrangler.

In the sports car world independent suspension is the way to go.

So why is the solid axel design the way to go for 4x4 and offroad?

Guess there is pros and cons to both systems, depends on the driving surface and other factors.
Short wheelbase platforms are somewhat more unstable than longer platforms, figure in four wheels doing there own thing at moderate speeds and things could get real hairy real fast.
Front independant, could probably add to stability in many situations, vehicles tend to steer better when the wheels are on the ground.
Probably get better articulation, on four wheel independant, but then again, look at the Uni Moog, arn´t many vehicles out articulate it (solid axle coil supension), with solid axles or any kind of axle.
Independant suspensions are generally lighter after the springs, unsprung wieght.
But then again, add many fragile looking parts, the more pieces the more to break.
Myself, I´m a traditionalist, there is a system that works, why mess with it. Maybe tune the old system some. New systems tend to have bugs.
Mayself, I´d like to see Mercedes/Chrysler, do a somewhat retro model (workhorse) without all the bells and whistles. Mercedes diesel 5 cylinder (older model) maybe Mercedes axles as an option (mechanical lockers/cable) or the Mercedes electronic traction control, which works really well, for the high tech, types. Mercedes doesn´t seem to do transmissions well, they seem to be big and clunky or fragile. New Process is a sub division of Chyrsler on and off, depending on the tax laws. If Mercedes and Chrysler had imput on what they do well, and built a Jeep, it could be pretty good. But they will probably design it in two different directions at once and end up with a high priced toy.

the independent setup is much tougher to design, it has way too many parts, and all the parts are mushed into the outsides of the vehicle... it is tougher to get a good beefy suspension in the independent setup. and with the independent, the axles are exposed to the atmosphere, whereas in a solid axle, the axleshaft is confined and kept safe inside the tube, where rocke and such will not damage it. The movement is much better in a solid axle setup, it is much easier to gain long travel because the wheels are connected to the axle tube, rather than an arm which is connected to the frame, so the wheels and the suspended on a seperate unit from the frame. The solid axle setup is much tougher, and is much more easily repairable

With a solid axle, one wheel going up forces the wheel on the other end of the axle down, more force on the contact patch means more traction. Something you don't get with IFS or IRS. There are many comp. rock buggies trying out independent suspension as we speak.

In the latest JP on page 11 it talks about Walker Evans IRS and that he went back to straight axles. It seems that tuning and significant changes were too difficult between races with it. But Dynatrac has it on other vehicles as we speak. Some day it might be possable for a bolt on....but I think I will wait a few years myself and see how the general population abuses it and its reliablity before trusting my jeep with one. a long walk back to town because of a broken IRS shaft and a extra three day wait for a replacement part in some backwoods town can get a little pricie.

i broke a front shaft in my blazer a few years back... i'll tell ya... making 3 point turns around simple turns on streets does not earn you many points from fellow drivers

Back