addition to "how to go muddin"

jeepsnsoccer

for the whole story go to.... " how to.... go muddin (or wheelin... whatever you call it) " but i am tryin to break it up here... i thought i might get a lil help. :p

"How to prepare your jeep"
What would be the best setup to go offroadin.... i know there are a lot of opinions out there... so just give me your own opinion... (this entails the amoutn of lift, what size tires, lockers or no lockers, essentials to take with you)

How far is far, How deep is deep, ect......

Your Jeep right out of the box will go some place that will make you want to question reality. However there are places it can not go and by adding the lifts tires lockers ect.. you are able to go more do more ect....

This is a set up question as far as questions go. Debate will run wild on this subject...

A few things all here will most likely agree on are safty and recovery are the first and foremost items to deal with. Good driven skills and learning the limits of both jeep and driver will go futher than anything else in the long run. Tug

2 inch body lift with air conditioning?

Tires are a good place to start, street tread (and some M-S tires), moderate tread (AT´s,M-S), Heavy tread (MT´s), very heavy tread (Super swampers). Street tread or light M-S tread, won´t get you very far in the mud. The heavier the tread, the more road noise, tire wear, wear and tear on the countryside.
Basics to take along. Some tools (basic kit), something to help dry out an igniton (from rags to special sprays and such), a full sized spare (see previous post, about what´s under the water). And like TUG mentioned a jack, preferably one that doesn´t reguire scubba gear to operate, a high jack or such.
Basic preperation, someplace to affix a tow strap and someplace that won´t bend, to jack a vehicle. Modifications startf rom there and go on.
Different approaches to dealing with mud, waterproofing (had volkswagon good to about four feet of water), raising a vehicle up out of the mud, or going fast enough and with big enough tires to kind of float over the mud. But like everything else it can be taken to extremes.
One thing many people leave out is cleanup, mud traps moisture, moisture starts rot/rust. Sand is abrasive, it´s better to wash it out of moving parts. Mud requires extra maintenance.

Ignition locked... Key won't turn in any direction!

i'd go to say that recovery and safety are the first things that should be taken care of as well... for starters, until you go big, you can head to local shops and stores to get some simply devices.... 12v air pump, socket set, hammer, tow strap, come-along, radio, high lift jack, ratchet straps, rope, blanket, wheel chocks... basically, mentally put yourself in any situation that may happen on the trail.... then figure what you might be able to use in that situation.

Back