97 zj exhaust setup

superspud87

lookin to get a 97 zj limited with the 5.2 soon. had a question regarding exhaust ugrades. were gonna get the K&N cold air, 318 headers and dual flowmaster 50 series mufflers to come out the ass end behind the tires. if im pushing 220 horses right now, how much will i end up with after these upgrades? ballpark estimate would help, cuz i have no idea lol

probably won't add much more than 5-7 at the rear wheel.

if your motor is still makeing 220hp you would probably be around 250 to 270hp.. but my guess is since its a 97 you dont have 220hp to the wheels anymore maybe closer to 150hp at the wheels which case it the headers and stuff will probably put you in the 225hp range

I guess you should build my motors.

I have seen a true, dyno results for rear wheel increase on a big block switching from matched manifolds to stubby headers to be about 12 hp increase. At the fly wheel that translates to roughly 16hp increase.. you will not get 30 hp increase from a set of headers and a muffler, especially on a small block magnum/mopar with a stock induction and heads. primarily because Magnum heads flow like crap.

to add, engines actually make more power as they age. As valves seat, rings slightly wear into the bore, bearings slightly wear you increase the efficiency of the motor and decrease the power loss to parasitic friction, the motors ability for it easily pass the air and fuel through basically improves.

Most motors will reach optimal efficiency around 80K miles, assuming the motor is kept well maintained and lubricated, that efficiency should stay steady for hundred thousand of miles.

Back