94 YJ (auto) will not shift into gear or start

vance 94

This is my first jeep that i purchased returning from AFG from a retired coastie. (94 auto 4 cyl) In fairly good condition and did run great. However, the gear shift will not select a gear, just moves freely. And it will not start.
I went underneath and found a piece that looks like a bracket (looks broken off) attached to a rod that when i move the shift lever the rod moves freely. Obviously it connects to something down there but where it looks like it connects are the fluid pan and skid plate along the exhaust pipe. I can't see in there.

Can anyone tell me what this is and how to fix it??? Thanks!

Vance, congrats on your purchase. Im not real good on wranglers, I know a little but not as much about them as I would like. It deffinately sounds like your shift linkage or cable bracket came off or as you said broke. I dont think it will be too hard to fix and someone on here that knows more about it will let you know how soon im sure..

What auto transmission do you have? Mine is a torqueflight 999. If you could post a couple of pics it would help. I could compare to mine and we could get it figured out. But it does sound like broken shift linkage bracket.

Back