91 yj, 4.0 engine tapping

jnelson

new to group. this is probably answered somewhere although i couldnt find the search button.

engine tapping sounds like either a rocker arm or a lifter. after it warms up it goes away. this is a big problem living in colorado and taking fifteen minutes everytime i want to go somewhere.

is it easy for a beginner mechanic to replace the lifters in the 4.0l engine?

how can i make sure it is the lifter?

what is an estimated cost for replacing the lifters and the rocker arms?[addsig]

I had a really loud tapping sound coming from my 95 yj with the 4.0, turned out the distributor bushings were shot, so after I replaced my distributor, the knocking went away. Although....now that I think about it, the knocking only started after it warmed up, but might be something to check. As to finding out whether or not its lifters or rocker arms I have no idea how to pinpoint it. The way I found out my distrubitor was the source of knocking was to get a long screw driver and stick it on different parts of the motor with my ear up to the handled end. Cheap way to diagnose knocking sounds, but be careful not to get yourself or your clothing caught in moving parts.[addsig]

Back