'87 Jeep buying????

Ok tell us a little more like Motor size, A/C no A/C, Standard, Auto and how much.

If you want an YJ I'd look for another year. Jeep relpaced the NP207 transfer case used in '87 with the NP231 in '88, a much better TC. They replaced the Peugeot BA10/5 manual transmission in '87 YJ's with the AX15 about mid-year '89. They got rid of the problematic Carter carb in '91 and began using MPFI that made a lot more power. '94 and '95 have external clutch slaves which last longer and are changeable without dropping the transmission.

'87 is the first year of the YJ, a transition year of sorts between the CJ and YJ. I'd avoid the first model year of anything, and this goes for the YJ from what I've seen.

Just like Bounty said, dont go with the 87. There is a reason it is on JP's list of Jeeps to never own. The first year of any model change is usually somewhat of an experiment.

87 is like the red headed step child of the jeep family, we all know it exhist, but no one wants it! They were the first year for thr YJ, very problematic! Like Bounty stated, 88 would be a better choice Unless you want to spend the money on a 91 and after, locate a 4 banger, they are TBI motors which will provide better performance on the trail, plus less carb issues!

I PROUDLY own an 87 and I paid 6900.00 for it and would do it again if I found one. Mine is an auto with A/C and everything works and works well. My analog clock in the dash even still works. It runs with the best of the best too. There is nothing wrong with an 87 model. Yes it did have a carburetor, but there has been problems with the injected models too. Now I dont mean to start a rucuss but dont be downing anyone elses model of Jeep. just my 2 cents worth.

Not downing it, just stating that both the transmission and tcase (due to lack of aftermarket support) were two of the biggest mistakes made by Jeep when designing the YJ. If you swap those out, its just another YJ and is just fine. If your not looking to get extreme with your jeep, its fine, like RedWrang said, all jeeps have problems, just depends on what your going to do with yours.

Nobody is putting your year jeep down, just pointing out the weaknesses of certain model years. Don't be so sensitive.

Not being sensative , just saying that things people are saying is not always true. Alot of 87 Jeeps are trouble free so not all have weeknesses.

RedWrang said:
Not being sensative , just saying that things people are saying is not always true. Alot of 87 Jeeps are trouble free so not all have weeknesses.

Just because you own a 'trouble-free' '87 does not mean they don't have weaknesses. Trouble-Free and Weakness do not correlate.

And I don't believe that you have a 'trouble-free' '87, it's a JEEP :roll:

Hey Bounty do you know where Humble Tx is? Come on over Ill show it to you.

Any Jeep from a stock cj or yj to a rubi has its weaknesses and strengths. There is no such thing as a perfect jeep or trouble free jeep, but thats half the fun and pride of owning one. I own a 95 YJ, supposedly the best year of the YJ and I have all sorts of complaints about that damn thing. As one of the contributing jeepsters to the argument on this topic, I would like to say that I didnt mean to stir up emotions here, I was just trying to give a little advice to someone that asked for it. But as Bounty said, no insult was meant. Your a fellow jeepster and im sure your jeep is just as good as all the rest out there, it is, after all a Jheap....

Thats all I meant. I can go turn the key any day of the week and im off and runnin. I just have alot invested like all the rest of us do too and Its prolly cause I havent owned any other model Jeep. But anyway I have an 87 thats not bad at all. So my 2 cents worth is an 87 is ok.

Back