4wd???

jayysmith87

i have a 92 yj 5 speed. it goes into 4low but when i put it into 4 high i get nothing! any ideas on wut the problem is?

Not sure if your jeep has the vacuum front axle disconnect, but if it does that might be the problem.

When you go to 4WD low range, are you sure you have 4WD?

The plastic multi-colored vacuum lines they use in this system are impervious to all known automotive fluids, with the one exception of battery acid.

Curiously AMC decided to run these lines (in fact mounted some system components too) right under the battery tray.

If any of these lines appear to be cracked, then they are sucking air. Not a good thing in any vacuum system.

You can google "Posi-lok" if you want the cable deal (I chose this), or you can re-do the lines (cheaper).

If you go with the re-do, here is a diagram;
VacuumDiagram4WheelDriveFrontA1-3.jpg

The storage tank looks like a black plastic baseball, & the control switch is on top of the transfer case.

If you don't have the vacuum disco, someone else will need to help.:-|

there is a red and black wire coming from the vaccum motor and i just looked at it and the red one had broken.. guessin maybe thats why its not working.. but i have another question.. the 4wd indicator light does not come on.. well its never came on since i had it but i know for a fact that the 4wd DID work.. any reason why its never worked?

well i looked into the posi lok.. thats seems really great! but i was just wondering what is the down side to getting this? and which one do i get? ive only had a jeep for 6 months now. still learning about them. i love my jeep! they seem to be pretty easy to work on. for the most part.. lol

4 lo works, 4 hi is not... as in nothing works?
If so your cad diaphram is working just fine. Might be a shift fork issue.

If it is a CAD issue, you will be in 2wd no matter what your in (except Neutral of course)

All YJ's have the vacuum disconnect, and your '92 is slightly different than the diagram above. Your 4wd light switch is on the front axle and not the firewall as it is on earlier YJ's.Your 4wd light will likely work when the disconnect is working properly and is engaged. You can unbolt the disconnect from the axle and, with engine running, watch the fork movement when shifting from 2hi to 4hi.If it's not working and you need 4wd in a pinch, unbolt the disconnect from the axle and slide the shift collar to lock the 2 axleshafts together. Install the disconnect upside down and it will keep the shift collar engaged.

i got an unused posi lock im willing to sell. i installed it and then went with a different set up. pm me if interested.

Back